Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting

Default Biting

My LO is 10 months old and has 8 teeth, 4 up and 4 down, she has started digging her teeth into my nipple to the point that they have strted to bleed. i have changed position, tried nursing only lying down or the rugby position, so that the cuts can heal. Is there anything I can do to change the way she latches? She does not bite, I think that she used her gums and now her teeth to hold the nipple. is it too late to change her "grip"? Whenever I go to the supermarket I put formula in my trolley and then when I get to the cash point I go back and put it on the shelf, I am not really ready to give u breastfeeding but the cuts are really painful. I had them when I started feeding her when she was born and it took me one and a half months to heal and now they're back! Any suggestions? Thank you so much

Default Re: Biting

can you tell the difference when she latches? meaning do you feel it when she is latched incorrectly?

I would recommend you get to a LLL meeting locally and try to get another set of eyes to watch the feeding and advise on positioning... I also would recommend that if you feel her applying pressure while latched you immediately unlatch and respoition....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Yes, sometimes I feel her teeth chewing me and I don't think she should use her teeth at all. Is it possible that she has always had a poor shallow latch right from the beginning and now that her teeth have come out she hurts me? When she started nursing she gave me cracked nipples and I think her latch has not improved it's my skin which has grown tougher! But now with teeth it's a completely different story..if this is the case it would be impossible to change the way she latches on at 10 months?

with pp, go to a LLL meeting or find a local IBCLC to help you out if you think it's a latch problem. It might take some hard work but it's possible to relearn how to latch correctly and it'll allow you to bf for as long as you and LO wish.
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Ouch!! Sounds like you are determined to keep going though. You're doing the right thing, reaching out for help. I'm sure you can find a way to fix this.

Try going back to the basics, like when she was a newborn. Position yourself and herself securely, remember to wait for the wide open mouth, then latch so your nipple is deep in her mouth.

If she's latched on right, her top teeth will be resting on your breast and her bottom teeth safely under her tongue. Sometimes babies will clamp down if they feel insecure, maybe try wrapping her in a blanket?

I had good results with the "flipple" latch. Bascially, you fold your breast into her mouth.

Other than that, maybe she could benefit from a teething ring or something else to chew on between nursing sessions?

COMFORT ZONE (Comfort zone explained+your baby knows how to latch)
    http://www.ameda.com/resources/video

ASYMMETRICAL LATCH (Dr Newman’s info)
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-WL

THE “FLIPPLE” LATCH (Latching technique where you fold your nipple into baby's mouth so it ends up far back)
    http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.c...atedlatch.html
    (animation)
    http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/grap...aching_big.jpg
    http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/grap...chment_big.jpg
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thank you for all this information! It is getting a bit better. i think she was using her teeth also because she had a blocked nose and she wanted to hold the breast in her mouth. now I tend to change position and I unlatch her immediately if I feel her teeth clenching? i am also using teething toys for her to chew. I am determined to keep going! Thanks a lot

Yes, if you unlatch her whenever she clenches, she should figure it out soon. One more reason they might clench is if they feel they are going to fall, so be sure she is well supported while nursing. Some people may tell you to scream or startle her, but don't ever do that because it can cause a nursing strike.

Glad to hear you're doing better.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.