Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need reassurance about pump weaning

Default Need reassurance about pump weaning

Hi, so my son is nearly 11 months and I'm thinking about pump-weaning shortly after his first birthday. I will probably drop to one session a day right at his first birthday and depending on how he does with solids and less breastmilk, I'd like to be done pump-weaning by 13-14 months.

I was discussing this plan with my husband, who is very supportive of me continuing to breastfeed into toddlerhood, and he says to me, 'you know he will wean shortly after you stop pumping, right? Because your supply will diminish'. I tried to explain to him that (based on what I have read) this is not the case, but now it has me wondering and worrying. My son isn't ready to wean, and neither am I . I really don't want to precipitate that and am wondering, if I am only nursing him about 4 times a day once I pump wean, will that be enough to maintain my supply for toddler nursing?

Until very recently we were nursing 7-8 times per day because my son woke multiple times a night, and so we were getting in at least 2 night-nursing sessions in addition to the daytime ones. Just recently, he has started sleeping through the night some of the time, which is great. However, that means that I nurse him about 2x in the morning before going to work, and maybe 2x in the evening before he goes to bed. Is this going to be enough to maintain my supply once I stop pumping during the day? I realize the sleeping through the night may not continue, and I wouldn't be worried about supply if I was still night nursing, but if he does sleep through the night AND I pump wean during the day, will I still have enough milk to nurse him mornings, evenings, and weekends? Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I am willing to keep pumping once a day if I have to, in order to maintain enough of a milk supply that he won't wean yet.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Default Re: Need reassurance about pump weaning

It's hard to say. Neither of my children ever spontaneously started sleeping through the night, so I have no experience with that.

However, I have pumped for two children until they were about a year old. The first one nursed until she was 25 months old and for about 3 months of that at the end, I had NO milk because of pregnancy. She would have nursed 10 times a day, even at the end, if I had let her. The second one is 20 months old right now and it seems like she is nursing MORE during the day on the weekends than she did at a year. However, she also nurses two or three times overnight, so generally 5 to 8 times a day on work-days and then anything goes on weekends.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I pump weaned at one year (he was actually 14mos by the time I was fully done) with a lo who STTN more often than not and he did not wean until just before his third birthday.... towards the end he would nurse once every few days and I still had milk.... enough to leave drops on his cheek
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I was done pump weaning when my LO was 14.5 months old, and he's still nursing at 19 months. He doesn't STTN, though--not even close! But he still nurses quite a bit during the day, too, especially on weekends.
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

No experience with kids who sleep well , but in general, pump weaning works great, especially if you're still nursing at least 4X/day on weekdays and all day on weekends. It was such a relief to stop bringing that pump to work!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

You will also nurse more than that during your days off together AND when the 1st year molars break the night nursings WILL be back! 3-5 times in a 24hour period will maintain your supply. But you will average more than that over the course of a week with 2days off that you continue to nurse on demand!

Way too lazy for formula

I was actually going to start a similar thread. I was wondering if I would need to change my work schedule at some point. Right now I work 6:30 to 3:00, and pump before work (LO doesn't wake up until after I've left for work) and 2x at work, then nurse 2x when I get home and once overnight. I figure I'll pump a little beyond a year, but I guess at some point I'd have to nurse her before leaving, and then at least 2x at home. I don't want to count the nighttime one because I guess that one could go away someday, and she sometimes only nurses for a few seconds before passing out.

If I change my work schedule that would mean less time with DD (right now she's sleeping for a good hour of my commute + work time), so I'm torn. She'd be awake for about 9.5 hours while I'm gone if I wait around to nurse her when she wakes up. I don't like to wake her to nurse her before work, because we've had terrible consequences with that in the past (someone wants to play with the cat at 4:45 a.m.).
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Thank you LLLadies This is very reassuring. I hadn't actually thought that of course we'll still be nursing on demand on weekends so it will average out to significantly more than 4-5x per day. That does make me feel better. Also the last two nights he's woken in the middle of the night to nurse so it looks like sleeping through the night is going to be hit and miss for awhile, which should also help with supply when I pump wean. Thanks for the reassurance, I think I'm just really nervous about the pump-weaning and transition to cow's milk! I want to make sure I don't mess up the good thing we have going with nursing. We both love nursing so much and I'm not ready for it to end yet. Thanks again for the stories and advice.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

So filmmommy, you are saying you would have to change your work schedule to nurse more to keep your supply up? Couldn't you just nurse more in the afternoon/evening? As DJ'smom mentioned, you may be surprised when your 12 month old decides to nurse a LOT more than before. Mine nursed nonstop around that age, day and all freaking night long, so I didn't have this problem. I would play this by ear. I pumped once a day for a long time and it was really easy, so that is always an option.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes, I was just overplanning the pump-weaning and saw this thread as a way to overthink it some more! I usually get home between 3:30 and 4:30, and I nurse then. Then we usually only nurse at bedtime (7:30) with dinner in-between. I have tried throwing another one in there, but she's just not interested, so I don't really try much unless she cries and wants to go to me (very rare). Then she nurses once during the night, but that's often not for very long (sometimes one side only for a few seconds) -- although sometimes more, never the same depending on teething, etc. That's why I was wondering if I pump-weaned if I should start nursing her before work, once after and then at bedtime -- to make sure I get at least 3x a day for my supply and her needs. I know it will work itself out, but I'm a planner by nature! Pumping once a day may be the answer.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.