Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 1/2 month old with teeth biting so sad

Default 4 1/2 month old with teeth biting so sad

My son and I have had a really successful nursing relationship thus far... However, he recently sprouted his two bottom front teeth... so early. At first there was no biting but in the last few days, suddenly it has become nearly constant. It hurts really badly... I pull him off etc and calmly if possible say "no biting mommy" etc but he is simply so young I don't know if he understands at all... Side issue is he smacks me while nursing sometimes too... That's mostly just annoying but the biting is really more serious. Worried I will have to start pumping and bottle feeding... not at all what I want... plus we are travelling thursday and I really don't want to bring a pump! going to attend the lll mtg this evening and bring it up but I really need help because what was previously the best mothering tool, my son's foodsource, and our special bond is turning into somewhat of a nightmare. so sad pleeeeeaaase help

Hillary:
    mama to Maximus 4 months

panic

Default Re: 4 1/2 month old with teeth biting so sad

So sorry you are going through that. Have you read the articles on LLL Resources about biting yet?
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbbiting.html
    There is a shorter FAQ, and also a longer article that has some more techniques and suggestions.

you're right, at that age, it is unlikely that baby will understand your verbal instructions, but he can still begin to understand the gist of it all; your voice, your face, your words, and your actions (popping your boob out of his mouth, or in my case, forcibly jamming my finger into his mouth to pry it off my nipple).. be consistent. use a stern voice. i know it hurts, but try not to yelp/holler, as that can lead to fear and/or nursing strike. some babies just bite more than others. my first wasn't a biter at all. my ds, 7mos, is quite the biter. while nursing, and any time that i pick him up.. munch on mom. he doesn't bite anyone else the way that he bites me.

here is another great link about biting and how to deal: http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

I was about to post the same question...THANKS @Mercystreet for the links. I have a 9 month old with 8 teeth; 4 on top and 4 on bottom and lately all he does is bite and LAUGH!!! the little rascal...The only way to nurse is lying down in bed and total silence...no distractions, often times I have to lock ourselves in the bedroom; away from my 3 year old, so that baby is not distracted by his brother. Good luck @Hillary.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Even a very young baby can understand cause and effect - you bite, breast goes away. I think sometimes it is actually easier to teach a younger baby than an older baby or toddler who is "testing" mommy. I think a few (unpleasant) days of immediately unlatching baby and taking a short break works for most babies.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.