Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help.. ready to throw in the towel ;(

Default Please help.. ready to throw in the towel ;(

Okay, so my daughter is 3months and 3 days old today. She was born 5 weeks early at 5lbs 1/2 oz.. she dropped down to 4lbs 6oz by 2 weeks of age at her 1 month check up she made it up to 6lbs 2oz with the help of pumped milk in a bottle. She is my 3rd child and my last and I so wanted to give her nothing but breastmilk... well it hasn't worked out that way.After her 1 month check up I felt confident and stopped pumping and supplementing and tried only breastfeeding. She seemed satisfied after, wasn't crying.. she was just so small. I knew in my heart she wasn't gaining the way she should be and dreaded her 2 month check up because of this. Well at her 2 month check up she was only 7lbs even. Dr was extremely worried said she was in the 3rd percentile and that I MUST supplement her with formula. So supplementing I have been, but now it seems to have started a downward spiral. She is drinking enfacal 22 formula to gain weight after each time I feed her and she takes about 4-5 ounces of that... when I pump now I am lucky to even get an ounce with both breast combined. I wasn't getting much before but it was more than that, about a ounce or two out of each breast. I had been taking fenugreek 4x's a day and 4 capsules each time to try to increase my supply. Each time she feeds (and this has been from the start) she takes the initial milk that comes out and then she is done. There is no second let down, she will not continue sucking to try to get more no matter what I do thus probably being the reason why she hasn't been able to gain weight. She just sits there with her mouth latched on doing nothing. I don't think she ever gets any hindmilk and at this point i'm not sure if she is getting any at all the way she gulps down a bottle after. I am so frustrated and just ready to give up because I feel it is and has been selfish of me to keep trying to give her breastmilk when it is just not seemingly working out and she is suffering from it. The LC at my hospital here tells me one thing, her pediatrician tells me the opposite. My 3 month old looks like a newborn and I just really don't know what to do.. I feel heartbroken.. I have a 7 year old who I was unable to breastfeed, a 2 year old, and now her I was so determined this time we bought the medela pump n style and well here I am again.. waste of money I guess. I really just don't know what to do.

Frustrated and Sad Mommy to 3,
    Samantha

Default Re: Please help.. ready to throw in the towel ;(

Hey mama, I have to run and cook dinner but I just want you to know ASAP that we'll do our best to help you achieve your goals! And also, you're not hurting your baby by giving her breastmilk! It's good for her even in the smallest quantities.

BBL.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also want to chime in and say your baby IS growing! And based on where she started she may just me petite. Remember that EVERYONE on the growth curve is considered NORMAL. Someone has to be in the 1% and someone has to be at the 100% for the curve to exist. BUT as long as she is consistently ON HER path....her being smaller isn't a reason to worry OR give up!

Way too lazy for formula

mama, it can be hard when we hit speed bumps w/ nursing. it's supposed to be so "easy", "natural", etc, but sometimes nature just throws a mama a curve ball. you're doing great. keep nursing her first. formula second. remember, a little breastmilk is so much better than no breastmilk! even if you ended up having to give formula for the bulk of her food intake, a little nursing/breastmilk would still be so beneficial!

you say the fenugreek isn't helping much. there are some other options -- there is an entire subforum here about increasing milk supply. check it out. http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay....sing-Your-Milk
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Okay, kids are in bed and I can get back to this!

First, I want to say that I am sorry you've had such a tough time. I can totally understand being saddened and frustrated by how things have gone so far- but if you can, please look on the bright side! You are nursing this baby and you do have milk. There are a lot of moms out there who would be thrilled to have those advantages on their side.

There is no point at which it is too late to increase your milk supply. Generally that's as simple as nursing the baby- the more often the baby nurses and the more completely she drains the breast, the more milk you'll make. But if the baby won't do the job, you need to get in there with the pump. A hospital-grade rental pump is best, but you have a PISA and that's a good machine, definitely the second-best option. You don't say how often you're pumping, but here's the regimen that worked for me when I needed to increase supply: pump both breasts every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, for 20 minutes at a time. This can be tricky when you're nursing a baby, because it is so time-consuming, but if you pump right after nursing you'll probably end up syncing with the baby (more or less- there will assuredly be frustrating times when you pump and then the baby wants to nurse immediately afterwards). If you can maintain this pumping regimen in addition to the supplements, I think there is a good chance you will be very well rewarded. A lot of moms make the mistake of trying to substitute supplements and drugs for time spent either nursing or pumping, but neither drugs nor supplements are as effective as pumping when it comes to increasing supply. So, pump up the volume, and get your supply more in tune with your baby's needs, and supplement with breastmilk rather than formula. Breastmilk actually has more calories per oz than formula.

It sounds like you have a particularly non-demanding baby. I'm curious if anyone has thought to look for an underlying reason for that- perhaps reflux? Babies with reflux can be very non-demanding because they know that using their digestive system hurts. Anyway, an exclusively breastfed baby should nurse at least 8 times a day, and most nurse more often than that, often in the 10-12 sessions/day range. If your baby was nursing less than that when she was exclusively breastfed, that could explain the slow gain.

One nursing management technique that might be useful to you, in terms of getting your baby to be a little more active at the breast, is something called "finish at the breast". Instead of nursing baby until she's "done" and then finishing her hunger off with formula, you offer a small amount of formula to take the edge off of baby's hunger, and then transfer her to the breast. Hopefully she learns to fill her tummy at the breast, and then you can gradually step down the amount of milk/formula in the bottle.

I don't want to suggest that you do MORE work than you're already doing, but another thing that could be helpful to you would be a professional scale. By weighing baby before and after nursing, and subtracting the before from the after, you can determine exactly how much milk she takes in at the breast. (A day or two of data is more valuable than a single weigh-feed-weigh test at a LC's office because milk intake can vary widely from feeding to feeding.)

Finally, please don't get discouraged. Even if you must continue to supplement and nothing mentioned above works for you, nursing your baby is NOT harming her! Even a small amount of breastmilk has health benefits for baby, and producing it is good for your health, too. If baby ends up getting most of her nutrition from formula, that's okay. Breastmilk will still provide her with all sorts of immunological benefits, and if you can keep your LO interested in nursing you will never be without something to soothe her.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also it sounds like she has nipple preference. Because She is small and she has learned that she can do less work by waiting for the bottle. I would have a nurse in. Make plans for the rest of the family and spend the whole day in bed with the baby. 4-5 oz of formula every time you feed sounds like there probably isn't much room left for your milk. I imagine that she is eating considerably less often then she would be without those supplements. I would DEFINITELY work on the pumping! Because at least if you are supplementing with your own milk it will absorb quickly enough for you to get the ques more frequently than you are getting them now.

Way too lazy for formula