Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old on strike... but...

Default 9 month old on strike... but...

So this is a sorta odd one - most of my questions are answered by reading online, and I found a lot of information about nursing strikes in this age group. So I was prepared for that.

But that's not what I'm getting. He nurses great. In the morning, two-three times before bed, and a couple times overnight. As long as he's not too distracted, he is perfect.

But he does seem to be on a bottle strike. At daycare he'll take most of his bottles, but only because they are baby whisperers. For his dad or family members? He'll barely even get the nipple in his mouth before turning his head and trying to get down. At the same time, he is gung ho about his solids. He will eat like he's in a contest. So what's happening is that I'm getting feedback from daycare to up the solids and decrease the bottles (he takes multigrain cereal, about 4 oz of fruit, and 4 oz of veggies for lunch, along with some puffs or mini baby rice cakes to nosh on for teething, and sometimes another small snack if it's going to be a longer than normal day). I don't want him really having more solids than that at this point, but daycare is sort of pushing it (let's face it, it's also easier for them!). Dad seems to be thinking the same thing now and has even suggested that LO is "done with the bottles and breastfeeding" and I'm wondering if he thinks I'm continuing more for me. I admit I love it, but that's really not my motivation here. I just think at his age, he should be getting as much milk as possible because it's the ideal food for him.

Has anybody gone through a "bottle strike" and have any ideas? There's plenty of advice for nursing strikes out there, not so much for this one.

Should I try cups? If so what kind? And what's the best way to manage detractors? Day care ultimately has to do what I say but what kind of information should I be giving daddy?

On weekends he hardly gets any solids at all unless I have to go somewhere - no cereal, maybe 3 oz of something in the morning and about the same at night, and a couple munchies. Otherwise he nurses all day and is very happy/satisfied with that. So I don't think he "needs" solids like everyone keeps telling me.

Default Re: 9 month old on strike... but...

Bumping this...

Would adding another nursing session or two while you're home with him be a possibility? I'm just thinking that, at 9 months, 6-8 nursing sessions in 24 hours plus some solids is probably just fine... If you know he's getting enough milk at home, that would give you a bit of flexibility about what he eats at daycare.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I could maybe add one by trying to nurse when I pick him up before we go home. I might try that tonight actually.

I'm also experimenting with cups - his teacher told me last night that he was taking his bottles but in bursts - an ounce here, an ounce there, wanting to play in between. So it sounds like he's treating the bottles an awful lot like he treats me if we're home - doing drive by feedings and then going to play (I have some tricks to get him to focus and nurse longer so I can get things done, etc, but if we're just hanging out, this is his MO). So I'm thinking if I can find the right sippy cup that he can just carry around and come/go to as he wants, that may be easier for everybody and also keep some level of consumption up during the day. If it was a shorter time period I'd worry about it less, but between transit and time spent at daycare that's about 11 hours these days.

Not sure what to suggest - kind of reminds me when our DD gave up her pacifier around that age. We had a nursing strike with DS at this age too!

With DS, I was very concerneed about his fluid intake, so I just spoon fed breastmilk as much as possible and mixed it into his food.

Babies this age are *extremely* active and distractable. Maybe just realize this is a phase and hopefully he will take the bottles or maybe sippy cups soon?

Other than that, maybe breastmilk popsicles/slushies? I wonder if he would take those or at least be willing to eat breastmilk/breastmilk slushies by a spoon?

Sounds like you are still nursing lots when you are together. Which is great, especially if you're nursing lots at night, you can make up for whatever he doesn't take during the day.

Not sure else to suggest, but I know you'll figure it out.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.