Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My breasts leak SO MUCH!

Default My breasts leak SO MUCH!

I mean, by 3 hours after a feeding (which is pretty much the longest he will go without food - and that is only at night)) I am leaking a LOT. I wake up nightly in a pool of milk - soaked through breastpads. I sleep on cloth diapers.

During the day it isnt so bad becuase he usually eats every 1.5 hours. But, is this normal? I am told it will even out - and i dont want to pump becuase i fear that pumping will make me just continue to over produce!

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I have a lot of milk rahter than not enough! I exclusively BF and by 3 weeks old he is upto 11 lbs 2 oz!! He was 8 lbs. 6 oz. at birth.

When can i expect this to even out?

Default Re: My breasts leak SO MUCH!

8-12weeks is a rough estimate. In the meantime, a sleep bra w/ pads should help. Lansinoh makes wonderful disposeables that work like a Kotex. Those I found most effective to stay dry at night! Good luck!

I was also a HEAVY soaker!!! I could literally wring milk out of my nursing pads...One very embaressing evening I had gone a little longer than normal because we had relatives visiting and without realizing I had completely soaked the front of my pink shirt (with the exception of two circles where my breast pads were)...I was completely humiliated

DS is now 13 weeks old and I rarely leak out of my breast pads although I ALWAYS have to wear them.

Hnag in there, it will even out. Just make sure you stock up the diaper bag with extras and change the pads frequently

My son is four and a half months old, and I just stopped having to wear them all the time... I still leak occasionally, but nowhere near what it was... I was buying them as often as I bought diapers. Just keep telling yourself that it's better to have too much than not enough :-), it'll get better, I promise...

I had this problem at first as well and yes, it did even out around 12 weeks. I would sleep on a towel sometimes just so it wouldn't get all over the sheets. I wasn't comfortable sleeping in a nursing bra but the towel helped.

Default thanks ladies!

yeah, I am not complaining - I am happy I can feed my boy WELL! We havent gone out that much yet anyhow, so I havent been embarassed...yet!

I can totally relate because my DD is 8 days old and I leak like a faucet! I can hardly believe how much I am leaking. I use the Lansinoh pads and they work great and haven't leaked yet but they get so full that they literally feel weighted down. To where I can see the milk from the back of the pad if I turn it over! I haven't weighed them before but should out of curiosity. I haven't leaked at night yet and haven't gone in public yet but do change my pads quite often. Good thing I stocked up so much before she was born!

I have a bra from Bravado that I absolutely LOVE). It has snaps and is like a sports bra! I use it at night to sleep and also use disposable pads from Lansinoh. I love the bra because it is snug fitting but not uncomfortable at all! I never thought I would get used to sleeping in a bra but had not choice and now I don't even think about it when it's on. During the day I prefer to use cloth pads because I don't like the was the disposables get folded and crunched up at times.

I love the bra because it is snug fitting but not uncomfortable at all!
    Gentle clarification: A bra should fit well and be supportive. If a bra is too tight, it can lead to plugged ducts, mastitis and even reduced milk supply.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I had this same problem when my daughter was an infant, and even at almost 9 months, I still leak sometimes, although it's only a bit now. I wore a very comfortable bra with thick nursing pads at night, and pretty much 24 hours a day, atleast for the first few months. It does get better, although I got a few small wet spots at the store the other day-quite unexpected!!! My SIL was with me, and she was just laughing-I used my daughter as a human shield till we got to the car!!!LOL