Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about pumping volume

Default Question about pumping volume

I only pump once a day right now in the morning - one side while my DD nurses on the other. Pretty often ill pump only 2 oz that side in 15 to 20 min. There have been times where i pumped 4 to 5 oz. My question is, when you pump a small amount are you likely still pumping foremilk and hindmilk? I'd hate to think I've stored a bunch of 2 oz bags of all foremilk in the freezer. Hoping that's not what happens just because output is smaller.

I don't know how the volume will increase when I'm pumping multiple times a day, both sides, at work. I just want to make sure I leave a quality stash in the event it's needed. Thx.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Question about pumping volume

If you are pumping until the flow slows considerably or stops then you are getting hind milk. But keep in mind that all milk has nutrition and unless you have a serious oversupply problem I would not stress it. Foremilk heavy pumping sessions usually look very watery and sometimes blueish.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Ita with pp. This isn't something to worry about mama
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you. Was my hunch but confirmation is good. 1 darn oz today but didn't look watery and the only thing blue-ish is me for having that thing attached to me for 20 min!

Pumping sucks for sure. Do you need to pump? Some moms don't respond well to pumping and have to find optimal conditions. Like a certain brand of pump, the right horn size, the perfect setting (quiet, alone, etc), breast compressions and massaging or a specific time of time. Personally I need to be stress free and alone and to pump more often. You just need to find what works for you.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    But keep in mind that all milk has nutrition and unless you have a serious oversupply problem I would not stress it.
    All milk contains everything the baby needs to grow and develop. "Foremilk" contains relatively more lactose and relatively less fat than "hindmilk", but both types of milk have fat and fat-soluble elements. Foremilk isn't skim milk. A baby could grow and thrive on an all-foremilk diet, provided he got enough of it.

Also, remember that there's really no such thing as foremilk and hindmilk- just milk. The progression from relatively low-fat and lactose-rich to relatively high-fat is a gradual one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Pumping sucks for sure. Do you need to pump? Some moms don't respond well to pumping and have to find optimal conditions. Like a certain brand of pump, the right horn size, the perfect setting (quiet, alone, etc), breast compressions and massaging or a specific time of time. Personally I need to be stress free and alone and to pump more often. You just need to find what works for you.
    The pump sucks, yes, bad pun intended or not. I don't feel stressed about it tho. I will def need to pump 5 days a week when I return to work oct 3 (we have 2 completely private, doors lock lactation rooms at my office - very fortunate.) She'll be 11.5 wks then. Right now I just do this small bit of practice pumping and it also gives me that emergency stash not knowing what my daily output will be. Ideally I'll be bringing home fresh milk each evening for my DD and her caregiver the next day. I'll nurse morning, eve, and overnight as needed - usually once or twice during sleep hours right now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    All milk contains everything the baby needs to grow and develop. "Foremilk" contains relatively more lactose and relatively less fat than "hindmilk", but both types of milk have fat and fat-soluble elements. Foremilk isn't skim milk. A baby could grow and thrive on an all-foremilk diet, provided he got enough of it.

Also, remember that there's really no such thing as foremilk and hindmilk- just milk. The progression from relatively low-fat and lactose-rich to relatively high-fat is a gradual one.
    Very good points. I had read that at Kelly mom I think or maybe right here in the forums. My DD has had SO much gas lately that's what got me thinking about it. So not as a nourishment concern, just a what if I'm bagging what gives her gas kind of thing (ie mor lactose). Truth is, could be a lot causing the gas and we seem to be working thru it together. A couple bad days but then last night gas w/out the crying. Small victories.

Gas is fun, right? It's also very temporary, in my experience. A lot of the problem with gas is caused by the fact that newborn babies have never really used their digestive systems until they are born, and then all of a sudden they're using them all. the. time. It takes time for a baby to learn how to burp and fart and poop without being upset by those sensations, and it also takes time for a baby to grow strong enough and to have enough muscular control that she can burp/fart/poop at will and in an effective manner.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"