Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cold turkey??? 19 months

Default Re: cold turkey??? 19 months

I am sure you think we are being rude, but consider your audience mama, most of us are horrified with cold turkey weaning other than like a severe medical issue with mom or baby. Regardless I think weaning slowly would be better for baby and you[/QUOTE]

LOL yes, I did at first, but please blame it on sleep deprivation and just overall a traumatic night! I am with you guys on this, but would weening gradually now, after night 1 "set me back"??

maybe a minor one but if you stet with the gordon method tonight, I think you'll be on the right track!

I'm so happy now . . Hope you can catch a nap today!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Did you read the dr Gordon link I linked? It's his night weaning method that is gentle but effective.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm not sure you can be set back when you are saying how traumatic it was. If he only nurses at night then limit it. Nurse him for only 10 minutes and then daddy takes him. Or cut one of the sessions. But there will be crying. No doubt. I have been known to cut sessions off myself, so please don't think you have no sympathy here. By a certain point I think it's completely fair to set certain limits.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I second what Jenna and kst suggested; doing it more gradually (dropping a feeding at a time, then gradually working your way down) will be easier on him--and on you, physically. Cold-turkey weaning carries with it the risk of plugged ducts/mastitis and general discomfort. If you imagine someone taking away your favorite thing in the world abruptly you can see why he's having a hard time, and 19 months is still quite a baby, so he doesn't have the ability yet to put it in a different perspective.

On another note, weaning does not guarantee that his picky eating will change; picky may just be the way he eats. Sometimes people wean because they believe babies will sleep through the night if they're not waking up to nurse, or if they're giving them formula. One doesn't necessarily have to do with the other, kwim?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    But there will be crying.
    There's no cry-free way to wean when baby isn't 100% ready. Just remember that crying doesn't necessarily mean you're doing the wrong thing. My kid cries when I don't let her walk by herself in the parking lot, or go into the freezer and serve herself ice cream. Limits are hard for little kids, especially very little, mostly pre-verbal kids, to accept. And their response to limits is usually to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    On another note, weaning does not guarantee that his picky eating will change; picky may just be the way he eats.
    A LOT of moms get this advice- that weaning will "solve" the picky eating problem. But AFAIK weaning tends not to change a kid's eating habits- it only removes on reliable source of complete nutrition from the child's diet. I'm not saying "don't wean" a just that you shouldn't expect it to change anything.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with others that weaning will not necessarily solve any of the problems. DS2 was on medicine for reflux until he was 2, he's a really picky eater, and at 3 he does not STTN, even though he is nightweaned. He now nurses very little and even though I have VERY little milk, he is still a picky eater.

This is just my anecdotal observation, but it also seems like babies who have suffered from reflux are way pickier with foods. I've noticed this pattern on these forums. DS2 spent a lot of time gagging on foods, so I think it just causes food aversions over time. I don't think it's because of the nursing.

There is nothing wrong with weaning if you are ready to do it, but gradual is definitely the way to go for your sanity and his.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Did you read the dr Gordon link I linked? It's his night weaning method that is gentle but effective.
    Go gradual mama, it will be less traumatic for baby AND for you. I used the Gordon method, but extended the time frame quite a bit. I went slow and took the next step when I felt like my lo was ready to take it. She was 19-20 mos at the time and it worked relatively well for us.

Also, I just want to add one thing...19-20 months is prime time for the 2nd year molars to start. Could it be possible that is why your lo is not wanting solids and waking frequently to nurse?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous