Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a lump?!

Default Found a lump?!

I am currently pumping and bottle feeding. Yesterday while pumping and messaging my breasts to get more milk I noticed a lump. I don't know if it is a plugged duct or what. It is still there after pumping. It doesn't hurt and I've just started the massaging technique so I don't know how long it's been there. It is at the base of my breast where the breast meets the chest. I don't know if this is common and it will go away or should I worry? I am freaking out a little since my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago. Thank God she is cancer-free now but because they caught it early. Do lumps occur often while breast feeding? How long do they stay? Has anyone else had this occur?

Default Re: Found a lump?!

If it's a plugged duct, it's nothing to worry about. They are very common during breastfeeding. Plugs can generally be identified by how they behave. They'll often be slightly smaller after you nurse or pump, and should eventually go away completely- though they may come back in the same location. They can be painless, but if a plugged duct gets extremely painful, or yu have mastitis symptoms (red streaking or spots on the skin of the breast, fever, chills, aches, pains, flu-like feelings, pus-y discharge) it's becoming problematic and you really need to work to drain it. Mastitis symptoms should send you to your doctor.

I understand your fear, but this is probably nothing. If it stays the same- painless lump that isn't really changing in size- for a week or more, then I think it makes sense to see your doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with Mommal. Especially while breastfeeding we can be pretty lumpy. But it doesn't ever hurt to go see the doctor to be safe. Your doctor will understand your concern.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thank you for your replies. I thought all plugged ducts would hurt but I guess that's just when it's infected. I will monitor it and if I don't notice a change in a week I will see a doctor. Thank you for easing my mind.

As the lady who had breast cancer in her late 20s/early 30s trust me when I say that 90% of lumps in young women are benign. This is likely benign too. Agree with all PPs -- 2 weeks w/ no change and see a doc. Just don't let yourself get brushed off with a "too young for...". Ask for an ultrasound instead of a mammo (no squeezing milk on the x-ray machine!).

Worriesome lumps, btw, are generally very hard, round, painless, and don't move when you fiddle around the area. Mine felt like a grapenut. A cereal I have never eaten again!

I hope that helps. Now get back to enjoying LO.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

with pp's see your doc in a couple of weeks time if no change, but don't let yourself get stressed out about it. As for the type of examination (advice coming from a radiographer)... a mammo x-ray shouldn't be avoided (doc might want to use both x-ray and U/S) as it gives the radiologist good info on the lump - and if the radiographer says anything about squirting milk that's their problem not yours! U/S is good but can sometimes be a bit less specific (depends on the sonographer!)...

Saying that it is probably nothing. A friend of mine found a hard lump similar to yours and she got it all checked out along with lots of stress to find it was benign. HTH
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

It has been my understanding that a mammo doesn't give specifics at all. That it's meant to give an overall picture and a sono gives a clear picture of a specific lump.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Like I said it depends on the sonographer. You not wrong, an U/S can give good details on a specific anomaly, but it is very easy to 'change' the image by changing one or more settings on the machine or to miss something due to inexperience, hence why it's sonographer dependant. Both techniques have their advantages (neither should be ignored completely) which is why a comination can give the best result and specifics, therefore the best diagnosis.
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats

DD Stats
    9 months 15lbs 13oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caledonia View Post
    Like I said it depends on the sonographer. You not wrong, an U/S can give good details on a specific anomaly, but it is very easy to 'change' the image by changing one or more settings on the machine or to miss something due to inexperience, hence why it's sonographer dependant. Both techniques have their advantages (neither should be ignored completely) which is why a comination can give the best result and specifics, therefore the best diagnosis.

Nothing wrong with a mammo while lactating other than your own (dis)comfort. If -- and it's a HUGE if -- you need any diagnostic testing of course listen to your doc and those like the pp who really know. Apologies to have made it sound like one was better than the other -- I had had both when being dx'd.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

No apology needed, vivsmaman! I just wanted to share what I know... you are the one who's been through this and are in a position to give advice from the patient's side while I can offer advice from the health professiona'sl side. Both are needed
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005

DS Stats

DD Stats
    9 months 15lbs 13oz