Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: am I buying trouble?

Default Re: am I buying trouble?

I agree about relaxing and not stressing so much. Normal output is 1 to 1.5 oz per hour and you are within that! Pumping more often will increase your supply if you do it every day but it takes a few days for your body to get the message from the extra stimulation. It doesn't increase immediately. I would definitely switch out the pump parts - can't hurt, might help. But basically, your output sounds normal!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    The 25 ounces that were thrown away were over the course of 5 weeks, not one week. Still a lot and totally unnecessary.

This morning I pumped 3 oz before she woke up for the day and another 1 oz after she went down for her morning nap. Tonight she has been nursing constantly and doing a lot of fussing and crying. She very rarely has any evening fussies that go on and on like this. She seems to be getting really frustrated at the breast. I just feel like there is nothing there for her. Dad just fed her 1 oz in a bottle and she sucked it down. She's had plenty of wet and poopy diapers today so I don't think she's starving. She also spit up twice this afternoon/evening fairly large volumes, which she almost never does. I'm not sure what is going on. I just feel like I don't have enough milk for her.
    WRONG! Sounds way more like a growth spurt and the witching hour. Step AWAY from the self doubt Mama. It is not going to help ANYTHING. You are making enough for your baby and as long as you are only ever going to be away for 9 hours a day you will be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    So today is Monday and this week I decided to pump every 2 hours instead of every 3. So far I've pumped 2.5 oz starting at 8:30 during my commute (right after baby nursed, so, OK). Then 4 oz at 10:30, and then I pumped again at 12:30 and I only got 2 oz. So I've pumped 8.5 oz. I used to pump 8 oz in my first pumping session of the day when I first came back to work. If I pump again at 2:30 and get 2 oz, that will get me to 10.5 oz. I leave at 4 and get home and will nurse at 4:30. This is not going to be enough milk. I'm starting to panic. My new membranes and valves arrive today. I'm not sure if this is all in my head or not but I feel like I should be able to pump more than 2 oz after 2 hours. I'm not sure what to do.
    Relax. You are going to get less especially the 1st day of pumping more. Because your body is used to feeding on a certain schedule and you are messing with that. 2-3 oz is the outside most that she ever gets from you at one time. So if you are actually mimicking when she eats why would you expect to get more? The only reason pumping women get MORE than that in a sitting is because they are going LONGER between pumping sessions. Pumping 8 oz is NOT NORMAL. Don't compare your regulated supply to the period when you had over supply and your body wasn't used to being away from your baby. The time are NOT comparable and has NOTHING to do with whether or not you can do this. Which even if you fell short, how long do you think 100oz would last you as a supplemental supply? Say you actually get to the point of not making quite enough. (which does sometimes happen between 9 & 10 months) if you were only supplementing with the freezer stash you already have in the most DIRE of circumstances I bet you could make it on 100 oz for 5 weeks. So relax. Pump on the weekends if you want to make more. But DO NOT panic about a fussy constantly eating baby. Babies cry. They go thru growth spurts. They CHANGE. All the time. Don't try to find consistency in your infant. There is none and there will be none. Her Sleep, her growth, her weight gain, those things all are constantly changing as she grows. At 6months her weight curve will drop. Probably dramatically. Because that is when they start moving. They also want to nurse more when they teeth. If every time your baby ups her demand (which she will continue to do because she is growing and that is how she keeps your supply up to what she needs) you panic, you will convince yourself that you can't do this when it's very very clear that YOU CAN and YOU ARE.
    Stressing about this will NOT help you. Listen to the women who are ahead of you in this journey. Who have BTDT. Breastfeeding works. Even for women who work. It's all supply and demand. But supply and demand is not an overnight thing. It's takes 3-5 days for your body to catch up to increased cues. If you have enough wet diapers IT's WORKING! If it goes in, it comes out. Remain calm and focused. Trust us. And Trust YOUR BODY. You were made to do this.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you all SO MUCH for your help. There is so much wonderful wisdom here, and it's just so helpful to me. I have to say, I am usually not such a drama queen but like most of us I have so much tied up in this emotionally that these pep talks really help. I spoke with an IBCLC this week and the first thing she said was that pumping 8 oz is not normal and that my supply is probably just regulating. So hearing that from you and from her is all very reassuring. It felt like it was taking a total nose dive but it sounds like there is no reason to think it will drop further. I also rented a Symphony on Monday more for some piece of mind that it isn't my pump that is the problem, and since then I have pumped a lot. She's been eating more than usual (I think it is a growth spurt, we'll see if it's temporary) but despite that I'm now slightly ahead of my baby's consumption, which makes me relax and feel more confident. I think she started to have this growth spurt and I felt like I was low on milk, but after a few days, my supply did catch up. I'm sure the Symphony helped but I only got that on Monday. So that showed me that this supply and demand system really does work! I don't think I'm going to go into milk debt anymore (for now anyway). I have a couple of new questions but I think I'll start a new thread with more specific subject lines. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you!!! All of this wonderful support is really saving my sanity!!