Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: am I buying trouble?

Default Re: am I buying trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    Tracking everything on paper (actually, there is an Excel spreadsheet involved) maybe isn't such a great idea because maybe I'm getting worked up about nothing but it does seem like I might be headed for trouble in the long term.
    HAHAH you sound just like me. i also wanted to produce a little more than DS ate - my goal was 4 oz/day, because i was also donating - and i had a big crisis where i was getting less than he needed one week (going back to work full-time coincided exactly with the 10 month slump), and i got all ramped up again, and then realized i totally DID NOT NEED that much extra. it was awesome to donate but i did not need to be stressing out over an extra pump every single day in order to make it happen. which is to say: just keep in mind that whatever long-term oversupply you maintain, it compounds really fast! once you get the wastage in check.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

The 25 ounces that were thrown away were over the course of 5 weeks, not one week. Still a lot and totally unnecessary.

This morning I pumped 3 oz before she woke up for the day and another 1 oz after she went down for her morning nap. Tonight she has been nursing constantly and doing a lot of fussing and crying. She very rarely has any evening fussies that go on and on like this. She seems to be getting really frustrated at the breast. I just feel like there is nothing there for her. Dad just fed her 1 oz in a bottle and she sucked it down. She's had plenty of wet and poopy diapers today so I don't think she's starving. She also spit up twice this afternoon/evening fairly large volumes, which she almost never does. I'm not sure what is going on. I just feel like I don't have enough milk for her.

mama, don't get frustrated! (easier said than done) just keep putting her to the breast. babies can't control their intake from the bottle so hte fact that she sucked it down says nothing about whether she was hungry. fussy at night is normal. just ride it out. you have enough milk. (and anyway, what you pumped this morning has little effect on your supply tonight.)
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    mama, don't get frustrated! (easier said than done) just keep putting her to the breast. babies can't control their intake from the bottle so hte fact that she sucked it down says nothing about whether she was hungry. fussy at night is normal. just ride it out. you have enough milk. (and anyway, what you pumped this morning has little effect on your supply tonight.)
    in fact you pumping tells your body to make more milk.

i found there were periods of time in the evening when my son would suck for HOURS while falling asleep. he just needed to suck. i found that taking him for a walk in our ergo outside before bed worked well, something about fresh air always helped us.

So today is Monday and this week I decided to pump every 2 hours instead of every 3. So far I've pumped 2.5 oz starting at 8:30 during my commute (right after baby nursed, so, OK). Then 4 oz at 10:30, and then I pumped again at 12:30 and I only got 2 oz. So I've pumped 8.5 oz. I used to pump 8 oz in my first pumping session of the day when I first came back to work. If I pump again at 2:30 and get 2 oz, that will get me to 10.5 oz. I leave at 4 and get home and will nurse at 4:30. This is not going to be enough milk. I'm starting to panic. My new membranes and valves arrive today. I'm not sure if this is all in my head or not but I feel like I should be able to pump more than 2 oz after 2 hours. I'm not sure what to do.

Take a deep breath mama. As time goes on, your milk supply regulates. Pumping 8 ounces out at once is NOT normal, it is oversupply. 3 to 4 ounces at a time is more typical, regardless of what a pp said in this thread. Can you pump in the car on your commute home? I know that will be just before you nurse your baby, but that is ok. You are gone for 9 hours, 10.5 ounces is enough for her - especially since you nurse her right before you leave and right when you pick her up.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks. It's so hard to know what is normal and easy to feel insecure. I just feel like the stakes are high, this is my ability to feed my baby. I'm going to try a Symphony for a week (or maybe longer, depending on how it goes) just to rule out any possibility that pumping with this PISA is hurting my supply. I don't expect a lot more milk from it but I think it will put my mind at ease. I'm also going to go back on More Milk Plus. If I'm pumping with a Symphony every 2-3 hours at work and breastfeeding on demand at home with a some extra pumping evenings and weekends when I can manage it, then what else can I do? It will have to be what it is.

the more relaxed you are the better mama, please please please try not to stress (and try not to do the math) just make peace with pumping as in what I pump is what I pump and all you can do is pump more if that's not enough... there is no amount of stressing in the whole world that will give you anything but LESS milk.... so just read a book and drink lots of water.... try not to look at amounts until the END of the day when you are home with babe....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

what I did when I was having severe supply issues. ( I was on a menopause inducing medication - lupron injections, that reduced my supply)

I bought a brand new setup (horns, membranes, tubes) and rented a symphony that I kept locked in my desk at work M-F taking it home on weekends
    I nursed baby 1 hour before leaving the house, this was a long relaxed session taking about 20 minutes on each side while laying in bed together
    I pumped about 2 hours after arriving at work
    I pumped every 2-3 hours at work for a minimum of 30-40 minutes (I was always slow at the pump)
    I nursed my son when I first saw him at DCP for about 20 minutes
    I nursed my son again as soon as we got home (30-40 min commute in traffic)
    I nursed him on demand all evening until he went down for his longest stretch
    once he was down for the long stretch I would eat a snack - cheese and milk usually - take a long hot shower - then hook up to the pump for 45 minutes in front of the TV with a big glass of water...

this was soooo hard but in the end it made all the difference in the world.....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

also have you confirmed you are using the proper horn sizes??? I eventually needed to change sizes and used a separate horn size for each boob, kwim???
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07