Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance covering Breast Pumps!

Default Re: Insurance covering Breast Pumps!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    big corporations like my employer have been employing individuals to do nothing but find tiny loopholes that buy them a few months/years and meanwhile pouring money into lobbying to have pieces and parts of the reform bill revoked....
    :shakingfistsmiley

bastards
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I think the I stands for International, not Independent. While I don't doubt that's how insurance companies think, my guess was that they just aren't familiar with IBCLCs. They're allowing RNs because that's a standard qualification they've dealt with before (and is licensed and regulated by states). Plus, lots of LCs who were RNs were able to bill insurance before. They just treated it similarly to when you go to the pediatrician for something routine and all you see is a nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    because they want to deal with big corporations not individuals.... I in IBCLC stands for independent, they would much rather deal with a Central Billing Office and get a 'bulk' discount or think of it as a per head price when negotiating.... when an insurance company is hashing out terms with a provider/hospital (or CBO) they often use their member numbers as a bargaining chip to reduce costs.... especially if it's a standard PPO or HMO plan that way they reduce their own costs.... so a Insurer would say I've got 100,000 covered lives in plan A and if you agree to only charge 50.00 per consult then I will exclude IBCLC consults from plan coverage.... big corporate giants helping big corporate giants....or why I hate my job

also PLEASE understand that the 2012 Health Care reform bill was awesome but it also included several tiny loopholes that insurers will continue to leverage until about 2014... big corporations like my employer have been employing individuals to do nothing but find tiny loopholes that buy them a few months/years and meanwhile pouring money into lobbying to have pieces and parts of the reform bill revoked....

as for how your plan addresses breast pumps and LC visits. please look into your specific plan's coverage....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*TimsMom View Post
    I think the I stands for International, not Independent.
    Thanks for that, I edited my post to remove my error
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

FYI...I filled out the insurance information and picked up my pump on Saturday. I got it from a medical supply company and was surprised that the Medela PISA pumps there don't come with the "stylish" backpack or shoulder bags which saves you $45 off the retail price. They do come in a bag but it kind of looks like a tan soft sided cooler. Another way to save some money if insurance isn't paying and you're on a budget.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

I agree that those bags aren't stylish. And anyone who has ever pumped will agree that it is obvious what is in them.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months