Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soother in car?

Default Soother in car?

I'm wondering when and if y'all think it might be safe to try a soother for car rides only, based on this info. We've had nursing troubles such that I had to pump for 6 weeks before exclusive nursing started, no formula ever, baby is now 9.5 weeks old and 10 lbs 5 oz (was born at 9 lbs, went down to 8 lbs 1 oz), so obviously we've had slow gaining as well. But she has been healthy all along with lots of output, very alert developmentally, 2" longer than at birth. Pretty much unrestricted nursing except while driving, and we live far from the city so we do have quite a bit of driving for appointments etc. And she gets SO sad in her car seat. She's in contact with me pretty much all the time except when in the car, and I can't stand to hear her cry in her car seat, so usually I pull over and nurse her. But we have a trip coming up on Monday that involves getting my husband to the airport at a certain time and then the baby, toddler and me catching a ferry. About 2 hours in the car in all. And it's making me realize that I won't always be able to pull over and nurse her. Do you think it would affect my supply or her latch/suck (which is also kind of shallow) to offer her a pacifier just for car trips??

Thanks!

Default Re: Soother in car?

I used a paci in the car only for my son starting at 6-8 wks (can't remember for sure) it was on a paci clip and was attached to the car seat, he never would take it ever if he wasn't IN the car we too had a rough start so I understand the apprehension but you've done such a great job I think you'll be fine!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I think that using a pacifier in this circumstance would be fine. The biggest concern with pacifier use is that it is used to replace feedings or to soothe the baby through when they normally would eat and that is not what you're talking about doing.

My eldest also could not stand the car and we went through a several month period where every car ride was a nightmare unfortunately for us he absolutely refused to be soothed with a pacifier. When it was both parents in the car one of us would sit in the back and we had a silly squeaky toy and we made faces and squeaked that toy for hours it seems now....

I think it's fine. We had lots of trouble getting started breastfeeding, too, lots of pumping, supplementing, breast shields, SNS, and then finally at 4 weeks she was breastfeeding exclusively with no gizmos. I was very nervous about pacifiers but I brought one to my 6 week post-partum appointment with my midwife thinking that I could give it to her for 5 minutes while I was being examined if she happend to be fussing. She did start to fuss but wouldn't take the pacifier. Midwife just finished up and then she held the baby while I got dressed, LOL. She said she is always bummed when she DOESN'T get to hold the baby (or when moms don't bring them) so it worked out. We've offered the pacifier to her since then and she's taken it a couple of times but usually won't. I don't think that sucking on it every once in a while in the car (if she'll even do that) will mess up her latch.

I would not worry about not nursing for 2 hours, as long as you are able to offer baby the breast just before you leave and soon after you arrive.

I was so anti paci. I was worried about confusion, it being a cop out, me missing another need because I plugged her up, etc. At 7.5 weeks we tried it, desperate for some alternatives when nursing wasn't possible. Ped office, car, etc - my husband mostly tried since I'm the boob soothe, but I ended up trying too - all my worry and she wouldn't take it. 3 weeks later still won't take it. So I guess what's good is I don't have to worry about all the things I was worried about. What's bad is nothing works in the car. If I were you I'd try it knowing by now they're unlikely to get confused and likewise if they hate it they'll let you know. Good luck. I know how much wailing in the car sucks!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Glad to read this post and your answers - my almost 10 week old hates the car and my husband's getting impatient with me making him run errands alone! I'm just scared of messing up the nursing because you can never know if you'll have a problem till you actually have it. I tried the soother about 2 weeks ago in an hour-long car ride, and she took it for about 15 minutes. The whole time she had it in her mouth I was so sad, like I was watching our breastfeeding relationship go down the drain. Obviously that didn't happen but after nursing through the pain of mastitis and thrush (twice!) and finally enjoying breastfeeding, I just can't bear the thought of putting all that at risk!

Wink Re: Soother in car?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammadiliv View Post
    Glad to read this post and your answers - my almost 10 week old hates the car and my husband's getting impatient with me making him run errands alone! I'm just scared of messing up the nursing because you can never know if you'll have a problem till you actually have it. I tried the soother about 2 weeks ago in an hour-long car ride, and she took it for about 15 minutes. The whole time she had it in her mouth I was so sad, like I was watching our breastfeeding relationship go down the drain. Obviously that didn't happen but after nursing through the pain of mastitis and thrush (twice!) and finally enjoying breastfeeding, I just can't bear the thought of putting all that at risk!
    I got so worried and sad about it too and then she wouldn't even take it. Part of me is like, yeah, that's my girl, she knows a dummy when she feels it. And another part of me is like CRAP will we EVER get through a car ride? By the way I marathon nurse her before it's time to go out somewhere, such as an errant, and I bring one of our slings/carriers to put her in while we shop. Have had some luck that way. We've managed to go out for meals this way too. Granted we eat fast! The car ride home usually sucks.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Thanks all! I feel more at ease about trying it now. She might not even accept it - my older daughter didn't get attached to one, though she seemed to like it OK occasionally. But I think it's going to be worth a few dollars to give it a try at least! Any brand recommendations?

I do also "marathon nurse" before leaving and wear her when we get wherever we're going, like debbers said We sit by the door nursing with the car loaded and everyone else's shoes on, and then when she's happy for a second it's like OK, GO!!! Haha.

don't buy more than one of any brand.... try a few out and see what works... I used Avent but I've seen lots of moms use soothies?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07