Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: After 5 months of severe nursing aversion...Suceess Story!!!

Default After 5 months of severe nursing aversion...Suceess Story!!!

Just wanted to pop in and share some great news. After 5 LOONG months of my dd refusing to nurse while awake....she all of a sudden started nursing "normal". Out of the blue. The only difference is that she is starting to get some of her first teeth. So I don't know if it is the teething discomfort that got her back to normal or what...but I'll take it!!! It is going on day 5 of her not screaming and pushing my breast away!

I wanted to share the story of success....and to thank all the wonderful ladies on this forum for offering encouragement and advice along the way....specifically Midwestmama2010, worknpump, LLLMeg, Krystine, and everyone else who may have chimed in as well.

Praying that she doesn't revert back to her old ways after she is done teething, but as each day passes, I become more optimistic that she will continue to nurse "normally" for a long time to come!

Default Re: After 5 months of severe nursing aversion...Suceess Stor

Yay!! I am so happy for you!! Here's to many more months/years of happy nursing. I know that's a terribly difficult thing to work through and I am so glad she decided to nurse awake again. Rejoicing with you!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Honestly I feel choked up reading this - it makes me so happy! It just goes to show that a persistent and stubborn Mama can be rewarded for her efforts. I so hope it continues for you. Way to go. That really takes an inner fortitude.

My DD has done a little better with nursing in the wee hours of the morning (like 4am-ish) - if she's had a 4 or 5 hour stretch of sleep, I'm usually so full that she is more patient at the breast because the milk pretty much just pours out. It doesn't happen every night, but on those nights, I sure do like nursing and going back to bed instead of having to pump after giving her a bottle! I cherish these little successes.
    Last edited by @llli*worknpump; September 21st, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

wow. how exciting! good job mama!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Worknpump...happy to hear that you are noticing a *slight* improvement! I hope you continue to see gradual changes for the better! You are doing a great job and I'm rooting for you all the way!!!

I thought our story would be one of gradual change, not a complete and sudden turn around. I still can't believe it most days.

One of my favorite quotes that helped get me thru it:

When the world says "Give up"...Hope whispers, "Try it one more time".

Well done you and your LO. It's always great to hear the success stories. That in itself is so encouraging for many others. I really hope this continues for you :-D
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches