Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 1/2 mo. wants to suck thumb instead of nurse, what to do?

Default 3 1/2 mo. wants to suck thumb instead of nurse, what to do?

Hi there,
    My 3 1/2, almost 4, month old is a great eater. As of now she is exclusively breast fed with the occasional pumped milk in a bottle. Recently she has discovered her thumbs/hands and sucking. She will show me clear signs of being hungry, I go to nurse her, she'll latch and then unlatch to grab her thumb. I don't mind that she sucks her thumb, but how do I get her to not suck it when it's time to feed.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Megan

Default Re: 3 1/2 mo. wants to suck thumb instead of nurse, what to

My 7 week old sucks her fist or thumb a lot, which I find weird as my older kids were never interested in anything but the breast. Anyway she does it a lot just when latching and I say no and gently remove her hand and try to pop the nipple in before she sticks the hand back in. Sometimes it takes a few trys.

same way with my baby. i have to nurse him in a quiet darkened room to be successful to eat. he started this when he was 3 months. he is now going 7months and still the same. have to remove his thumb slowly then introduce my nipple.

My 4 month old has started doing the same thing. I move her hand and try a few times, if she still doesn't latch on I figure she's not that hungry and close up shop. I try again a little later, and usually she'll go for it then. I think sometimes she just wants to suck for comfort, and doesn't want milk.

My DD recently started to suck at her fingers too (just over 3mo). with pp, just gently lift your LO's hand away and replace it with your breast. I've been doing the same and she's now staying latched enough to nurse. Plus she's not doing that at every nursing session She does like to suck her fingers to get herself off to sleep which I have no problem with.

HTH and that you get your LO back ontoo the breast
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches