Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needing to regroup...advise, please!

Default Re: Needing to regroup...advise, please!

Doesn't sound concerning to me. She has great diaper output and has nearly doubled her weight by 3 months. Weight gain tends to slow down a bit as baby gets older- the average weekly weight gain for a breastfed baby in the 0-3 month range is 5-7 oz (reference: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/). In the 4-6 month range it's 4-5 oz per week. But remember that these are averages: some weeks a baby may gain 10 oz, others 3. Growth does not happen at a constant rate in all dimensions. And highly active babies tend to decrease their rate of weight gain a little faster than sedentary ones. Finally, it sounds like you're weighing baby on a home scale, correct? Those scales are generally not accurate enough for measuring weight gain. When you're trying to get an accurate picture of wright gain, you want to always weigh baby in the nude on the same scale as last time, and that scale should be a precise, professional one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reassurance! Yes, I'm weighing her on a home scale. It's definitely not a professional one, but it's a pretty accurate infant scale that we used while tracking my son's growth (he was failure to thrive and it wasn't safe to bring him into the doc's office for weights). Granted, it does probably have a range of inaccuracy (what's the statistics term I'm trying to think of?). I was assuming that since his nutritionist and docs were ok with our scale, it was ok for weighing my daughter. But you're right...even if it's off an ounce of two, that puts her right into the "normal" growth amount.

And, also, good point about every week not being a constant rate of growth. I suppose part of my concern was that she was (on earlier weeks) gaining almost exactly 7 ounces per week. Every week. But she's much more active now and we are getting closer to the weight slow down months.

Breathe, mama. (The failure to thrive ghosts of the past are hard to shake...)

It is very hard to shake off previous bad experiences! But it really sounds like everything is okay, provided you just take a deep breath and nurse, nurse, nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't think you need the Dom. Her weight gain looks good. If it were me and I was worried about weight gain I would just nurse nurse nurse and baby wear and cosleep so baby always has access for a week or so and see what that does. I don't think there's any reason to worry but hopefully that would result in a nice gain that would put your mind at rest.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I so wish "nurse nurse nurse" was an option, but I might have the only baby on earth who simply does. not. nurse. unless she's hungry. I've fretted so much over her fussiness during feedings (I was offering all the time under the theory that she'd just comfort nurse if she wasn't hungry) and one day I decided to just offer when she showed any kind of cue whatsoever. Well, she was way less fussy...and she cued way less than I was offering. She's kind of an 8-9 times a day eater, instead of over 12 like I was offering. Anyway, now that her tie is clipped and she seems to be a stronger feeder, I'm hoping she'll take more in during her feedings (instead if the super short, very fussy feedings she was having when I offered all the time) and her weight gain will pick up a bit.

She doesn't sleep in our bed, but she's right next to me in a cosleeper. I wake her at 12, 3 and 6 (unless she wakes sooner, of course) to eat overnight. Do you think she might eat more than that overnight if she were actually in our bed?

Thanks much for your reassurance and advise!!

Let me rephrase that - I dreamfeed her overnight...she never really wakes up.