Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I hurt my supply by doing this ?

Default Will I hurt my supply by doing this ?

I usually pump 3x at work and do it every 3 hours. I work the night shift until midnight and have noticed that it has been tough to squeeze out the exact amount I need by going every 3 hours. I just recently this week started pumping every 4 hours while I'm at work and it seems to be giving me exactly what I need. So, basically I pump twice for 15 minutes each time, four hours apart while I'm at work.
    I EBF at home and my LO usually eats every 3 hours. Although this is working for me now, will my supply start to decrease by doing this ?

Help !

Default Re: Will I hurt my supply by doing this ?

Many moms notice a short-term gain and a long-term loss when they space their pump sessions out. Milk supply is determined by the frequency and the intensity of milk removal. The more frequently you nurse or pump, the more you will make. The longer you let milk sit in the breast, the more your body will get the message that the baby isn't all that hungry, and it will stop wasting energy by making "extra" milk.

What often happens is that the first time a mom spaces out her pump sessions, she suddenly gets lots of milk, because her breasts are extra full. This state of affairs continues for a while, but then all of a sudden her pump output declines, and she's getting only what she was getting before she spaced her intervals out.

I'm not saying this WILL happen to you, just that there's a good chance that it might.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, when i hit a wall, id add a session not drop one, its better long term.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

with everything Mommal said and Jenna too ..... short term vs. long term
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Every mom is different, but if you're worried about your supply being on the low side (or pump output being on the low side), pump more frequently rather than less. That said, after my supply was established with Joe, I pumped every 3.5 to 4 hours for many months and maintained my supply well that way (I took my time with pumping and really worked to empty the breast). But when I hit the 9 month pumping slump, I added a pumping back in to increase my output again. So it's something you have to play by ear - and be willing to adjust your schedule throughout your pumping career if necessary.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you ladies ! I will definitely keep going at my 3x pumping schedule ! It's tough, but soooo worth it, and would be so upset with myself if I lost my milk.

Joe.s.mom ... off topic, but what is the 9 month slump?

I'm not Joe.s.mom but I can try to answer... I think it's just a common term used to define the rough period that virtually all WOHM-Pumping moms face around month 9-10 of babes life, depending on other circumstances... typically (and for me) most moms in this situation hit a wall and supply starts to diminish while we do everything in our power to ramp up supply.... extending pumping sessions, eating oatmeal , adding in extra sessions, etc...HTH
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

For whatever reason a lot of women find pumping output goes down around 8-12 months. Probably because your body just gets kind of used to the pump. And often the pump is getting old and losing suction too.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.