Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did you send breastmilk to daycare?

Default How long did you send breastmilk to daycare?

Just curious on how long you sent breastmilk with your child to daycare?
    I breastfeed my 9 month old daughter and will do so for quite a while yet and am just curious how long to send the milk with her to daycare.

What did/do you do?

Default Re: How long did you send breastmilk to daycare?

I stopped sending milk when ds was about 10-10.5 mos old. I was going out of my mind pumping at work, and trying to find time to pump at home just to have milk to send. And somewhere around 10 mos, ds just started refusing a bottle. I had the babysitter try giving him milk in sippy cups or even holding a regular cup. He just didn't want anything to do with it.
    I just decided that as long as he was eating well (solids), and she offered him a sip of water now and then so he didn't get dehydrated, I'd let it go. It killed me to know that 90% of the milk that I worked so hard to supply him with was being dumped! Believe me, he made up for it at home though. The minute we walked through the door I had to plant myself on the couch or he would have a fit!.
    So you really have to take many factors into consideration when making this decision. How long is she there every day? Is she eating solids well? Will she take a sip of water from cups?
    Ultimately, you have to do what is best for both of you, and what you're comfortable with.
    Hope this helps.
    Jill
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

Hi,

I stopped sending milk to daycare at about 13 months. We tried other milks but allergies intervened, and now DS drinks water at daycare. Like the previous poster I nurse DS just about as soon as I walk in the door.

I pump weaned and stopped sending milk to the sitter's house at about 11 months. Ds still nursed morning and night, but had pretty much given up day nursing on the weekends, except for the occasional pre-nap session. My supply during the day was about down to nothing, and I was so, so ready to quit pumping. Our ped had also given his blessing to starting a little moo moo milk (which ds tolerated with no problem), so I would just send along some moo moo milk to the sitter.

I've only pumped occasionally for about the past month, so DD gets mostly other fluids when I'm not home (since about 13 months old). She refused to take a bottle well before that and didn't drink very much out of a sippy, so we were just building up extra milk that we don't really have a use for (and I can't donate because of my meds-also I think most milk banks only take milk expressed before a baby is 6 months old).

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

This is very interesting to me, because my little guy is now 9 months, and I thought I'd have to pump while at work until he was weaned. So, how much breast milk do your children get total do you think? I'm curious, because I've been pumping 3 times a day, and I'm about done with it.
    Do your kids get cereal, and if so, do you use milk in it?
    Amber

Hi,

At daycare my DS eats rice cereal mixed with fruit. It's hard to estimate how much breastmilk he gets with me, sorry.

Is your LO finishing all the bottles that you send? If she is refusing some you might be able to cut back on pumping to 2x per day.

She will usually eat what I send with her to daycare. I figure I will continue to send the same amount until she starts to eat less ebm.
    Thank you all for the replies..it is so wonderful having a community I can come to for these questions!

My DD will be 1 on Sunday. I still send 4 bottles to daycare each day. She still drinks 3 of those. The fourth is "just in case." While I'm sooo ready to be done with pumping, I want to make sure she is eating enough well, balanced food before I stop send ebm.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

I sent pumped milk to daycare until DD was 15 months old. I have been pump weaned for one month now and I LOVE IT! I pumped 3 times a day for the first 12 months. I cut out one pump session every 2-3 weeks or so, starting with the 5 am session, then the lunchtime session, then finally the late afternoon session. It got to the point where I was only pumping about 2-3 ounces (alarming bc I use to pump 12-16 ounces per day!) from the afternoon session, so it just wasn't worth it anymore.

DD and I still continue to nurse in the morning and evening, and in the middle of the night if needed.