Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby sleeping through night, but breasts wake me up......

Question Baby sleeping through night, but breasts wake me up......

My 7 week old sleeps through the night and has pretty much since he was about 2 weeks old. I know he is getting enough to eat because he is gaining weight and is a very healthy boy. So my concern is not about waking him to feed. I feel it is best for him to sleep and if he is hungry he will wake up. My question is can I not pump in the middle of the night? I wake up because my breasts are full and start hurting because they need relief. Can I ignore them and will they eventually slow their production at night without affecting my daytime supply? I'd love to sleep through the night like my LO does I pump 90% of the time and bottle feed.

Default Re: Baby sleeping through night, but breasts wake me up.....

Yes, as long as baby is nursed on demand and is growing well and producing adequate wet/poopy diapers, feel free to sleep when he does! Don't pump, or pump/hand-express only a minimal amount, and your breasts will soon adjust to produce only what is needed during that long nighttime sleep, leaving your daytime supply unaffected.

Don't be surprised if your baby starts waking to feed again- these long sleep stretches tend to be temporary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I pump 90% of the time and bottle feed.
    So right now you are pumping your milk for 90% of feedings and nursing the other 10%? Or is baby 90 % expressed breastmilk & 10% formula fed? Or am i totally misunderstanding....
    I am wondering because if you are excusively or almost excusively pumping rather than cue feeding at the breast, that might warrant a different line of suggestions...it is difficult to maintain adequate production when exclusively pumping which means night pumpings could still be important...

Also, if I am just confused and you are primarily nursing...I have a slightly different take on this type of situation than mommal. If it were me, (in fact, it was me) and if I was in pain-not just a little full but painfully so... I would try to nurse my baby at least once overnight. I also had a great gaining and great sleeping newborn and I found I still had to nurse more often than she was cuing due to MY needing to nurse more to avoid engorgement and plugs. This would not be forever, your supply should soon regulate.

with LLLMeg. I missed that bit about the pumping and bottlefeeding- I guess I assumed you were only pumping during the night when engorged? Anyway, as she said, depending on how much pumping and bottle-feeding you're doing, the suggestions for your situation might be completely different.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"