Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain slowing down - decreasing supply?? Help

Unhappy Weight gain slowing down - decreasing supply?? Help

Hi there LLL Ladies, I need a bit of advice...

So DD is now 3 months and to start off with her weight gain was fantastic averaging at at least an oz a day. However, now her gain has slowed dramatically (saw the doc yesterday and she hadn't gained anyting in 2 weeks?!). My doc has said that if it's the same next time I see her we'll have to introduce supplements When I was having difficulties with DS my doc was great and really helped me continue bfing. This time round she doesn't seem fussed and I feel she wants me to take the easy way out. I know if I start supplementing it'll kill my supply! I have already lived the disappointment of going half bm / half formula with DS and really don't want to go down that path agian. Honestly, I was so happy and contented that this time round bfing was 'a breeze'! Can bfing really go all hairwire at this stage after such a good start?

DD (to me) has a good latch, feeds on average 8 times a day, has plenty wet (every change) and dirty (1-2 a day) nappies, is happy if not sleeping after nursing and her other stats are fine. She has recently started having a break of 8 hours after her evening feed (typically she nurses around 9pm then wakes and nurses again around 5am) - could that be having an effect of my supply? Is 8 hours too much for a 3mo? The other thing I've noticed is that she's gone from nursing for 20 minutes on each side to about 5 (sometimes when I insist she stays for 10mins) on each side. I know LO's get more efficient, but can she be THAT efficient?

As for myself, I am recently feeling more tired, due mostly to me having to do all household chores, cooking and looking after the 2 LO's alone. When I try to speak to DH about helping he just gets angry, so for the past few weeks I've left it alone. The thing that's worrying me with this is that I only have just over a month left before I have to go back to work and I really can't see how I can keep up with working full time, then coming home to all of that too.

For me, it's not an option to stop bfing - I love it too much as I know it's the best food for DD - but I just feel that I have no-one around me to help tackle this.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice on how I can increase my supply and get round this tiredness. Once again, thanks in advance.
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Default Re: Weight gain slowing down - decreasing supply?? Help

An ounce a day is on the high end for weight gain. Was she weighed on the same scale, naked, each time? I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of weight gain, it sounds like she's got enough going in if all of that is coming out.

On the husband angle... well, I personally wouldn't put up with that. How are you going to work full time AND do all of the work at home? You're not. He should be doing his fair (at least 50%!) share. Can you hire someone to come clean the house every two weeks? That's what we do.

ETA: I just noticed that you said she is sleeping through the night. I would wake her up in the middle of that, mama, since you seem to be worried about weight gain. I would not let her go 8 hours without nursing until after that next doctors appointment.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with Tracie. If you're concerned about your LO's weight, the first thing to do is to start waking her at night and nursing her.

Can you post a weight history? It sounds like your doc is getting you worried over what is probably nothing- it's normal for weight gain to slow down are a few months- but a weight history would help us know whether or not we should simply reassure you. Also, has baby continued to grow in height and head circumference?

Feeling tired all the time is par for the course for the mom of 2 small children. However, one thing that can cause both tiredness and issues with milk supply is hypothyroidism- if you determine that you really do have a supply problem, you might want get checked for that. Also anemia- that could easily explain you feeling tired.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, post the weights, and someone here will be able to tell you whether they look that bad. It seems like doctors don't always use the right charts for BF babies.

Is your baby already starting to roll at all also? Increased activity really affects baby weights sometimes, although 3 months is a little young for that much. My daughter was a chub up until she started crawling, although she's always been bottom 25% for weight.

I agree with PP's if you are that worried, you can wake her up at night to eat. Some babies are sleepers...8 hours is a little rough in one that young. Even if you just wake her up once in the middle though, it splits it into two nice 4 hour chunks that shouldn't mess with your sleep too much. As for time spent, eating for 10 minutes is not uncommon either for a 3 month old...they have had enough practice by then to speed up a fair amount.

I know it is crazy, but we sent our 4 year-old to daycare even while I was on maternity leave. Part of that was to help me recover and adjust. Part of it was for her too. Mommy time is best, but her daycare was doing some fun field trips over the summer that gave her some exciting experiences, especially since we were not planning on going out anywhere special as a family for a while.

As for adjusting back to work...take it one step at a time. Conquer one day, then the next. I know it sounds plodding and counter-intuitive, but sometimes just planning one day ahead breaks things into manageable blocks for our minds. I've had several changes I had to adjust to; I just dealt with it one at a time. First it was going back to work myself. Then it was me taking the kids to daycare AND going to work. Then there was my husband going back to his 2nd shift schedule instead of daytimes (me and the kids alone for dinner and bedtime). Then it was my husband also working on Saturday. If I had thought 3 months ahead and prepared for the very end eventuality, I think my brain would have shut down. Instead I planned for what was right around the corner only.

I agree with mommal, if your tiredness keeps up, get it checked out. With bigger blocks of resting between nursing, you are more likely to get your period back. If you are iron deficient at all now, AF will not help that.

Husbands can be touchy after a baby is born for several different reasons. You will just have to feel things out--is he depressed, is he worried about providing, is he jealous of baby--there are many possibilities. However, you do have to figure out a way to talk to him so that eventually you can remind him he is your partner in this venture and you may need his help. Whether that be in housework or taking care of the older child, you just need help. I tried to give my husband the big "here's what needs to be cleaned every week" big household cleaning picture, but that backfired. He responds much better to, "this week, we're going to focus on these 3 chores, let's break it up between us". I actually think the house is cleaner now than it has been. However, remember, your house does not have to be pristine. You need to make sure your idea of cleanliness is a realistically achievable one as well.
    Last edited by @llli*lidarose; September 20th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks ladies!

As asked for here's DD's weight history:
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz
    2wks: 8lbs 2.5oz
    1month: 9lbs 2 oz
    2months: 10lbs 15oz
    2.5months: 11lbs 8 oz
    3months: she lost just under an oz. However the other weights were done at a clinic where she was weighted with a clean nappy on each time and their scales are digital whereas at my docs it's an old fashioned scale she uses and DD was naked. But still in 2 weeks she lost nearly an ounce and gained absolutely nothing?! I know her weight gain is really great, but just felt so down when the doc said I'd have to start supplementing

She has become more active and stays awake during the day after a feed for a good half hour. She's not quite rolling over yet but kicks her arms and legs lots when she sees her favourite toys. I was thinking of waking her up again during the night. Actually last night she woke up twice (1am and 5am) by herself and nursed

As for DS, he is at nursery from 8:30am unitl 4:40pm. DD is great in the mornings as she lets me get DS up and out with practically no fuss. DH did drop DS off twice this week which was great as it let me just concentrate on DD in a quiet environment. DS has also been through, recently, a bit of a separation thing. Last week he cried all the way to nursery and just wanted to stay home with Mummy and wee sister. It did pull at my heart to leave him but when I went to pick him up his carer assured me he was fine during the day. We've gotten past that phase and he's so happy to go so at least that's a stress I no longer have.

For my tiredness: I have had anemia in the past and it just didn't pop into my head that it could be that. Am determined to get my diet sorted out (generally we eat very well, but have been a bit lax recently) so hopefully that'll help. I will need to try and take an afternoon nap with DD. Have also started eating porridge again (great as it's getting colder anyway in the mornings!), drinking fennel tea and taking a low dose of fenugreek to see if it really is a supply problem. Obviously, I am nursing on demand as I know that's the most efficient way to increase my supply.

And finally in repopnse to the Hubby problem. He was great after DS was born, but this time round I just feel like we 3 are coming 2nd place after his work (high school teacher) and his music. Over the Summer he has started a music project that is basically taking up all his free time and limit eating into the time he needs to work at home preparing classes correcting papers etc. It's a project where he is making a little extra money and he thinks that justifies leaving me to do everything else as he's 'providing' more. I have tried to talk to him, to discuss with him but he gets so angry and defensive so I have given up as I don't want all this anger around the house - not a good environment for the kids. I have tried to explain that I really need his help around the house and he does for a day or two but then he slips back into the same routine. I don't expect my home to be spotless but I refuse to live in a heap of untidy, dirty mess (which is what it'd be like if I didn't do the housework!) and we just don't have the money to hire help. Plus we don't have either of our families nearby - we live just outside of Paris, my family is back home in Scotland and my husband's live in the southweast of France. My Mum did come over and stay for the fisrt month after DD was born and it was wonderful having her, but she has other responsibilities at home with my niece so can't make it back over.

I do feel a bit better getting all this out and thank you all so much for the support. If I can find a way to get DH helping before I go back to work I think it'll be ok. Will try and just take each day as it comes, but I will have to do the nursery run in the morning then drop DD in the creche at my work then go to work myself and the same at the end of the day... ah will try not to think about it too much and enjoy the month I have left at home

Thanks again
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats

DD Stats
    9 months 15lbs 13oz

Oh, the old -fashioned scale could have made all the difference! When you're weighing a baby, you're always supposed use the same scale, because there can be significant differences in calibration between scales, and the baby is supposed to be in the same state of dress as the last time. An oz or two from a dry diaper could be the difference between adequate weight gain and inadequate weight gain, especially with a young baby!

I'd pop over to the clinic if you're concerned, and have the baby weighed on their scale.

I know that scales can make a big difference because of what happened with my second kid. She was born at home, and her birth weight was done with an old-fashioned spring scale. On the spring scale, she was 8 lbs 6 oz. When I took her to the pediatrician a couple days later, she was down to something like 7 lbs, 2 oz. So either she lost over a pound, way more than 10 % of birthweight, in 48 hours- and I had mature milk within 48 hours!- or someone's scale was way off.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

mommal I'm going to go to the clinic during the week to see what they say. Plus the two nurses there are so friendly and very pro bfing and are full of good advice. Actually, since I posted this DD has been waking herself at 1am and 5am to nurse so I'm hoping that'll boost my supply. Yesterday she nursed about every 2hrs which is unusual, but, hey, if she's hungry I will provide

Unfortunately on the DH front I'm at a loss. Only asked him to nip out to get bread so DS could have his breakfast (since I was nursing) and he was huffing and puffing.. result I went out straight after nursing DD Hmm, what to do (and more over how to do it?!)
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005

DS Stats

DD Stats
    9 months 15lbs 13oz

Hi ladies,

Well am just back from the clinic and as you all said I was worried for nothing There is a definate problem with the scales at my docs... my DD is up to 12lbs 3.5oz (at docs if you remember she was at 11lbs 7oz?!)!! When am I going to learn to trust my Mummy instincts, eh?

Am due to see my pedi in 2 weeks time so if the same happens I'm going straight to the clinc to double check.

Thanks again!
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005

DS Stats

DD Stats
    9 months 15lbs 13oz

Awesome.

Maybe call your doc and alert them that their scale seems to be off? Who knows how many other moms are being told to supplement based on inaccurate weight data?

Yup was thinking that myself, mommal, as I think gaining 11.5oz in just over a week seems a lot kwim? I'd hate to think that the same has happened to a first time Mum who isn't sure and who'll follow docs advice.

Anyway, all is, once agin, good for us!
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005

DS Stats

DD Stats
    9 months 15lbs 13oz