Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding while she has a cough.

Unhappy Breastfeeding while she has a cough.

My not so DH seems to think that I shouldn't be breastfeeding our 13m old because she has a cough. She is having a coughing spells in the middle of the night and gagging and puking. I don't think that he knows what he's talking about because the only thing he has to reference is adults drinking cows milk while they are sick. He is being a complete A-Hole and he usually is when she wales up in the night with something wrong. I just need some support please and I need to know whether or not it's okay to be breastfeeding her with her cough. She is getting lots of water also but we're still co-sleeping and BFing at least once in the night. He wanted me to give her a bottle with water in of instead of BFing and she's never drank out of a bottle. Sorry for rambling I just needed to vent.
    I am a first time mommy to my beautiful Ayla born 7/28/11 8lbs and 8.5ozs.
    She is now 5months and about 20lbs
    I love and
    My DH and I have never been more in love
    I love this forum you are all my heroes

You awesome mammas' ROCK!!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding while she has a cough.

It's so hard when our LOs are sick! You are absolutely doing the right thing by continuing to breastfeed your DD while she has a cough! Your breastmilk if full of antibodies which will help your DD get better. Kellymom.com has good information about why you should breastfeed when your child is sick: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/ You might want to share that with your DH, if you think he'd be receptive. But know that you are absolutely doing the right thing for your DD by continuing to breastfeed her while she's sick!
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

I agree. I have BF my son whenever he's been sick. In fact sometimes its the only thing he wants. So your doing a great job, keep it up.

Also, and this isn't really the point of your post, but there isn't really any reason to avoid dairy if your sick. It's sort of an old wives tale that dairy thickens mucous, etc. So I hate to pile on, but your DH is starting from a point of false knowledge and then applying that falsehood inappropriately.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

I'm a little late, but thought I'd share anyways. The ONLY time I've ever had trouble with cow's milk, personally, is when I've had a fever. Not with just a cough/cold/etc., but a true fever with dairy makes me puke.

Now, when DD has been sick, even with a mild fever (she's never had a truly serious fever though), she does fine with breastmilk, and I think it helps her recover more quickly.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .