Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Got not enough milk?

Default Got not enough milk?

Hello!
    My baby is one month old and I am breastfeeding her. Since more or less one week she is crying a lot afer she eats. She is unconfortable just at the end of the feeding and in fact she is not eating so much from each brest. Sometimes she sleeps but awakes quick after sleeping. The doctor told me that maybe I do not have enough milk and that she is still hungry which explains her behaviour and that I would need to give her artifical milk. I woud really like to continue breastfeeding. How do I know if I have enough milk or not?

Default Re: Got not enough milk?

Welcome to the forum!

You know you have enough milk if your baby has normal diaper output and is growing and developing normally. Here is a reference on diaper output for the first 6 weeks: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...s/enough-milk/.

I am sorry your doctor gave you such discouraging and incorrect advice. Fussing after feeding and waking soon after being put down is very normal for a new baby. As long as you are feeding on demand and not on a schedule, it's not a problem and not an indication of supply problems.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal completely. I would only add that when cue feeding at this early age you do need to make sure baby is nursing frequently enough overall which at this age is 10 to 12 times per 24 hour day at least.

Thank you very much for your answers! I was feeling sad when the doctor told me to give artificial milk! (and I´am going to search for another doctor just to compare). I will continue with breastfeeding for shure and as you said, maybe I have to nurse her more frequently than I thaught...