Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night - is this ok?

Default Sleeping through the night - is this ok?

My 9 week old baby started, of her own volition, sleeping through the night this past week. She usually goes to bed at 7-8 and wakes up around 4ish, and again at 7. Is that ok? I'm feeding her on demand and she seems to be doing really well, gaining weight and diapers are great, though she does get really fussy in the evenings. Is it ok for her to be sleeping this long? Is she getting enough to eat? I'm afraid my supply is going to dip now that she's sleeping so long. I know this is "supposed" to be a good thing, and yes I'm loving the extra sleep, but I guess I just need some reassurance that this is ok.

Default Re: Sleeping through the night - is this ok?

I think there is never any harm in waking a baby to nurse or 'dream feeding' baby if baby has started an unusually long sleep stretch very young. and 8 hours at this age is slightly unusual but certainly does happen. Whether a feeding overnight is needed in this situation depends on many factors, but since you have a concern your instincts are telling you something. I suggest go ahead and try nursing baby at least one time during this stretch and see what happens. Can't hurt.

you may find this thread helpful http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...g-baby-to-STTN