Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this look like a lip tie? And to treat or not to treat?

Default Does this look like a lip tie? And to treat or not to treat?

My son is 4 1/2 months old and we had a lot of pain breastfeeding from the start. He had a 50/60% tongue tie diagnosed and treated at 3 weeks, it was treated again at 5 weeks as there had been some reattachment. He also had cranial osteopathy treatment from the age of around 5 weeks to 4 months. There was no immediate improvement and progress was VERY slow. BF is no longer painful but it is still awkward, as I have to be careful with hold, positioning and latch. He had slow weight gain too, although diaper output is fine and he seems happy and healthy.

I recently looked at his top lip and the more I look, the more I think he may have a lip tie. I have looked at pics on Dr Kotlow's website (and will email him a pic) but I'm not sure. Initially I thought I wouldn't do anything about it as BF doesn't hurt any more, but the more I read, the more concerned I am about possible future dental problems. I am also worried that teething may be the end of our breastfeeding relationship

Does this look like a significant lip tie? And is it worth getting it treated? BF is bearable but if it could improve, that would be wonderful!

DSC_0948.jpg

Default Re: Does this look like a lip tie? And to treat or not to tr

To be that looks like a lip tie! I would get it treated based on the trouble you continue to experience.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks Jenna. I heard back from Dr Kotlow but his reply was a little unclear, he said it is only significant if it is affecting nursing or if it causes a gap when teeth come through

I'm betting he will have a gap in his front teeth! If it were me I'd get it treated, it can't hurt.

On a side note I've had DDs cut twice and she still has a gap in her teeth
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*browncow View Post
    On a side note I've had DDs cut twice and she still has a gap in her teeth
    FWIW This is why we are choosing (so far) not to treat DD3's lip tie. She is having plenty of wets/dirty diapers and my supply is good. I'm watchful of it (she's only 3 weeks now) and have really gone back and forth but there is no guarantee that treatment will help the gap in teeth nor is there a guarantee that the lip tie will cause it. As my pediatrician recommended, it's a major procedure with minor results.

Unless it's still affecting nursing I'd probably skip on the surgery.