Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to introduce bottle?

Default when to introduce bottle?

hello
    we have sucessfully and exclusixly bf'ing for almost 7wks and i was just wondering when is a good time to introduce a bottle. when is it too late?

there is a small chance that i will go back to work soon BUT im relucant to do it bc wellll i guess bc i cant see leaving him and not bfing him full time. and the fact that he seems to be a real "needy" baby.

tks
    rachael

Default Re: when to introduce bottle?

My son will be 8 weeks this Thursday and I've been exclusively breastfeeding for 6-1/2 of those weeks. I started to introduce the bottle just a little while ago so that others could feed him should I need to run errands, go to the grocery store, etc. He didn't like it at first and flat refused to latch and suckle. The faces he made was absolutely hilarious and of course it made me feel good knowing he preferred breast to bottle. It took about two or three tries to get him to take a bottle of breastmilk. So I'm not really sure how early you should introduce a bottle, I just did so now for the sake of convenience.

Smile Re: when to introduce bottle?

It sounds as though you are really enjoying breastfeeding your baby.
    Some babies will take to a bottle with seeming ease, while others may take a while, or some may never take one. As already mentioned it sometimes takes a few tries.
    It is probably a good idea to try soon if there is a chance that you will go back to work, so that you get an idea of whether your baby will take to it or not. There are other ways that you can provide EBM (expressed breast milk) to babies - either by cup or spoon. This can sometimes be a bit more time consuming, but even very young babies can be cup fed. You may like to contact a LLL Leader to discuss this, or there is a description of cup feeding in "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" (7th revised edition, Jan 2004) pg 318.
    You might like to find out if there will be a discussion on working and breastfeeding anytime at your local La Leche League group, or talk with a Leader over the phone.
    Best of luck, and keep up the wonderful job of mothering your baby.

Oh I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying being a breast feeding mom! I am not an expert on bottles but we tried to give one to ds at about 8 weeks and he would have nothing to do with it It was not a big deal bc I am a SAHM and when I did leave w/o him I just made sure that I was back in time to feed. After a while we gave up on the bottle and then when ds got his first ear infection and would not nurse, we tried it again and he loved it. Still much prefers me and he has probably only had 3 bottles of EBM in 9 months. He does also take a sippy cup of water, as far as the sippy cup I would introduce that about 5 months. We really like the Playtex Sipster does not leak and is easy to suck from. 5 months seems to be a good time, most babies are so curious that they will at least play with it. Be careful when you do offer water that you do not offer so much to where your nursing is affected. Best of luck and many blessings!

Some babies just won't like bottles. My daughter, 15 months, never took a bottle, she would only chew on it (before her teeth). You may have to try different kinds of nipples from what I've heard some babies will only take certain kinds and maybe that was the problem with my daughter.

We introduced my daughter to a bottle after about a month or so of breastfeeding and she took to it just fine... we only have her a bottle of EBM a couple times a week in the beginning. Now I am back to working full time and she drinks three bottles of EBM during the day while I'm at work. We originally started with the Playtex NaturaLatch silicone nipples because they're supposed to be like breastfeeding. We have since switched to Dr. Browns bottles and nipples because she doesn't get as much gas this way.