Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Uneven pumping

Default Uneven pumping

I pump considerably less milk from my right breast than from my left. I am trying to build my supply before i return to work so i pump at night after exclusively bfing all day. I typically pump btw 1-2 oz, guve or take. However, i've noticed that more and more often, the amount i pump from my right is far less. For example, tonight I pumped 1.5 oz from my left and .5 from my right. Is this normal? Is there any way I can increase the amount from my right? Thanks mamas!
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Default Re: Uneven pumping

Totally normal. Most moms notice they have one breast that makes more milk. It's only a problem if it's causing lopsidedness which makes you uncomfortable, or if the baby develops a real resistance to nursing from the lower-producing breast.

This link covers lopsidedness and what to do about it: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/. Basically you're looking to increase stimulation to and milk removal from the underperforming breast, preferably by nursing, but by pumping if nursing isn't doing the trick.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yep normal, in fact my 19 month old prefers the higher producer, when I pumped I'd ger like .5 oz on the right and 3-4oz on left.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks mamas! Anything I can do to increase production/ volume pumped from the lower producing breast? My son doesn't have preference and not experiencing lopsidedness.
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Just checked out the kellymom link- great tips!