Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often should a two month old eat?

Default How often should a two month old eat?

My 9 week old still wants to eat every hour and a half. Is this normal? I don't have any problems doing it since I am staying home for the first year, I just thought that the feedings would be spaced out a bit more by now. If not, when do babies start to go longer between feedings?

Default Re: How often should a two month old eat?

It really all depends on the baby. Is it 1.5 hours around the clock? My kids have all gone to frequent feedings during the day when they sleep a little bit more at night. Even if it's not the case, I'd say it's still normal as long as your LO still has good output (wet/dirty diapers). If you aren't seeing a drop in diapers then the frequent nursing is usually within the realm of normal and baby just wants to nurse for hunger, comfort, sleep, closeness, etc.

Diaper output is good, and she is gaining weight great too (11.3 lbs now), but the longest stretch of sleep at night is usually 10pm-2am. Then she's awake again at 4, 6, and 8am. I wish she would sleep longer! She doesn't nap for longer than about 30 minutes during the day unless I let her sleep in my arms after nursing or on my chest. Without contact she unfortunately doesn't do long naps yet.

I bet you'll see improvement in sleep and eating patterns at 12 weeks but otherwise a 4 hour stretch is pretty good and may be why she's stacking nursing otherwise - so that she can skip a feeding and everyone can sleep! As far as frequent nursing, I think it sounds pretty normal. As far as sleep patterns, it's also pretty common to want to be held to sleep but if you end up wanting tactics to help her with naps that may be worth thinking about.

At night we play a track from Dr. Karp's white noise cd, but after that initial 4 hour stretch she still wakes up every two hours! Ugh!

Totally normal. Baby is still growing very rapidly & has a tiny tummy and thus requires nutrition frequently-including overnight.

Of course every baby is very different but speaking very generally-By around 3 months one can expect SOME but not all babies to have started sleeping a five hour stretch-(although not necessarily every night.) 5 hours is the definition of 'through the night' for babies. Since your just over two month old is already sleeping 4 hours, I would say that's pretty good.

More time between feedings will come, likely you will begin to notice a difference around 4 months of age or sooner. But when exactly depends on many things-baby's personality, tummy size, nursing efficiency...

Also do not expect nursing frequency or night wakings to reduce in a precise linear fashion. Usually frequency goes up and down due to growth spurts and various developmental factors.

Meanwhile, are you considering ways to increase your own overall sleep? That can make this intense period a little easier.

Totally normal. Both my kids nursed every 1-2 hours in the day during their first 6 months or so. Around 6 months, they would occasionally go 2-3 hours between nursing sessions if they were exceptionally busy or out and about in public.

Is the frequent daytime nursing getting you down? If it is, I just want to say that it does get better with time. Right now your baby isn't interested in much besides nursing and cuddling, and she probably takes a long time to nurse. But she is growing stronger and more adept every day, which means she is going to become a faster nurser. And she is also developing both physically and mentally in ways that will soon allow her to be interested in and entertained by things like toys or her own fingers or her toes- and as the world becomes more interesting most babies spend less time just hanging out at the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"