Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I get low supply?

Default Do I get low supply?

I can get only 2oz from both breasts when I pump (Medela). I've been nursing my 8 weeks since the day he was born, but my supply increase has been very slow. I read an article that says "A lot of women think that their supply is low, but actually not.", so I talked to a lactation consultant and she said 1oz per hour production is normal. Is it? My 8 weeks drinks 3.5 oz average at every 2 hours or so. I've recently gone back to work as a part time. I can't catch up with his appetite simply by pumping at work. At home, I nurse him day and night. No stock is in our fridge. Is my supply going to be increased? Any suggestion to get more supply?

Default Re: Do I get low supply?

your LC is right, 2 oz in a pump is normal. you can't judge supply by pumping, only by watching the breastfed baby (pooping and peeing enough, meeting milestones, content, etc). many women have to pump more times than their babies eat to make the same amount of milk; they do this by adding in an extra at work, or at night, or early in the morning when supply tends to be highest.

that's one reason why pumping is so hard, and moms here will warn people against EP! it never gets easier - in fact, it gets harder - and breastfeeding gets easier.

you might also want to check out the pumping forums; lots of good threads there including the stickies at the top.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Are you/have you been exclusively nursing (except when at work, of course?) I do not understand what you mean by
    I've been nursing my 8 weeks since the day he was born, but my supply increase has been very slow.
    If your baby has been getting enough via breastfeeding, your milk production increase is normal, not slow.

Thank you both for your comment. I work on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. When i am at work, i pump three times and get 2-3 oz from each session, totaling 6-8 oz on my working day. On wednesday, Friday and weekend, i nurse him. So if i keep nursing him during the weekend, i don't have milk left to pump out for the following Monday. I need to ask my mother who takes care of my baby to use formula. On Tuesday, my mother get some breastmilk from Monday pumping to feed my baby, but 6-8 oz for the whole Tuesday is not enough. She needs to use formula. If i get more than 1 oz per hour, this would be a different story. I knpw some people produce more than 1 oz per hour. That's whybi thought my production is slow.

how much milk/formula does your baby take on monday, tues, and thurs? where is the milk coming from for monday?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

OK, so, you cannot know what your supply is due to pump output. Some mothers just do not produce really well for the pump but thier production is fine.

I suggest: get your pump checked out or, if it is an older pump consider getting a new pump. sometimes the problem is the pump!

try the ideas in this article- http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/

pump more often at work if possible-one more time maybe????

An 8 week old needs about 25-30 ounces total breastmilk a 24 hour day. And at this age, a baby would be nursing a minimum of 8 times a day. More often is fine and may be needed. So nurse as much as you can, even on the days you work-do you still nurse at least once or twice overnight? At this age that is likely needed. Plan to nurse just prior to going to work and right when you pick baby up, and ask your mother to feed baby in a breastfeeding supportive way. see http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

see this article to estimate how much expressed milk your baby should need when you are at work. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 19th, 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: changed plan to pump just prior to work to plan to nurse

Dear auderey, he takes 3.5 oz average at every couple of hours. And this doesn't seem to be enough for him, but we realized we had overfed him since his birth, we've been trying to keep 3-4 oz of bottled milk while I'm not home. For monday milk, I don't have breastmilk stock, so we use formula mostly.

Dear lllmeg, yes that's what I do. At day and night, as long as I'm home, I nurse him. So, the day before I go to work, I don't have much stock becasuse I keep nursing him and no much milk comes out for storing. Hope my milk supply is better when I nurse him than pumping. Thank you for the link of the article.

I read some forum thread that people is talking about Mother's milk tea to increase the supply. I may try that.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smilekh View Post
    . Hope my milk supply is better when I nurse him than pumping. Thank you for the link of the article.

I read some forum thread that people is talking about Mother's milk tea to increase the supply. I may try that.
    for most people, pumping isn't as efficient as nursing. mother's milk tea, and other galactagogues, can help, but nothing replaces removing milk from the breast. so if you want to increase your supply so that you provide more milk and less formula at work, you'll need to pump more. try adding one extra pump session every day, around the same time. you might not get much for a week, but eventually your body will increase supply to meet the demand.

good luck mama!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13