Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Certain nursing positions causing plugged ducts?

Default Certain nursing positions causing plugged ducts?

Every time I nurse DD3 side lying I end up with plugged ducts on the second breast - even if I do end up nursing her on that side as well. Am I doing something wrong? It's the only nursing position I have found a problem with. Just me?

Default Re: Certain nursing positions causing plugged ducts?

Could just be you. Some moms just can't take even minor pressure on the breast without getting a plug. But I am willing to bet that things will improve in time, as baby gets bigger and stronger and better able to empty the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Brady has a lip-tie, yes? Leo does and we have a devil of a time with side-lying. No plugs yet, but it is uncomfortable and he has a tough time staying latched. I feel that the two may be related.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

She does have a lip-tie. And she does have trouble staying latched in that position. If I prop her up on her side it's better, but she still slips off a bit. I don't want to throw in the towel on side lying because I get a tiny bit more rest this way, but the plug is definitely related. First day, I thought it was coincidence. Next two days I figured I must be doing something wrong with positioning.

When she's latched it's comfortable. But afterwards it's almost like let-down is somehow inhibited. I may just be sleep deprived and crazy. Just figured I'd check if I was positioning in a way that was causing it.

With DS, we couldn't side lie for several months. (maybe 8-12 weeks)? Maybe it was me being a FTM, or the discrepancy between my breast size and his size but I could never get the latch right. Then, it worked. Maybe it's just size issues she'll outgrow?
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Keep working at it if you can. I think Ellen is right- in time and with her growth and maturity it will get better. We're still trying, though that's when Leo spits up (or vomits, like last night) because he wants to snuggle and remain nursing and is getting overfull (dang OS).

Speaking of which, since you had mentioned OS before, how is it going? It could be increasing the likelihood of plugs too.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

It's ok. I think it's definitely playing a part. It's the second breast that gets plugs more frequently, almost like having a letdown but not completely emptying the breast is causing more problems than not using that side at all would be. I don't know if that makes sense. The one she is nursing on gets a plug up by my armpit after side lying and the other one gets plugs all over even if I end up nursing her a little. The next feeding, it's as thought I can't get a letdown unless I use heat to encourage it. It's only weird to me because if I nurse her sitting up but don't use one side I get no plugs. So it's definitely related to the position and I feel like the size/weight of my chest may be playing a part but I have no idea why I assume that. I just can't completely figure out why or if maybe I'm doing something weird.

The OS is better. I think the supply is still mostly there, but nursing on one side seems to help. And, she seems better able to handle it. Still lots of hiccups, spit-ups, gas, and having to change her diaper every 30 minutes but at least my fevers have settled down and I am getting more comfortable. She's also waking up to eat more frequently than she was at first, which helps a lot. If it weren't for OS I may mind that she wants to eat every hour, but right now I consider it a godsend.

Funny you mention the spit-up/vomit. It's a double edged sword, that side lying position, isn't it? On one hand it means a little more sleep. On the other, it means lying in a combination of breastmilk and baby spit-up no matter how many towels/receiving blankets are lining the bed!

How about you? OS getting better?
    Last edited by @llli*aphimama; September 20th, 2012 at 01:07 PM.

I bet because she is on her side and perhaps a bit less supported (your breast is less supported too), and therefore having a harder time staying latched, that is why you're getting the plugs. I have a tough time keeping this one on his side too; He wants to roll to his back and drop the nipple. Keep working at it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aphimama View Post
    Still lots of hiccups, spit-ups, gas, and having to change her diaper every 30 minutes but at least my fevers have settled down and I am getting more comfortable.

Funny you mention the spit-up/vomit. It's a double edged sword, that side lying position, isn't it? On one hand it means a little more sleep. On the other, it means lying in a combination of breastmilk and baby spit-up no matter how many towels/receiving blankets are lining the bed!

How about you? OS getting better?
    I think it's hilarious (and a bit strange) how in sync our babies have been!

The spitting up was way better today, probably because I didn't bother with side-lying when we napped while DS1 was at school. Hiccups numerous times though. He frequently unlatches, so he sucks in even more air, as well as dribbling milk all over! So different than with my first, for sure.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ohiomama View Post
    I think it's hilarious (and a bit strange) how in sync our babies have been!
    I was thinking this, too. If only you weren't a Buckeye fan I might think they were cosmic twins

I'm wondering if a different bra, slightly more supported position for mama, or just an older baby who stays latched on would clear this up.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.