Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feel like quitting? Don't - IT DOES GET BETTER!!!

Smile Feel like quitting? Don't - IT DOES GET BETTER!!!

I haven't posted on here for a little while but wanted to offer support to anyone who is struggling with nipple pain/damage, due to a bad latch, and is losing hope that it will ever get better. I have put the links to my story below so won't write too much about what happened to us, but I just wanted to say where we are now.

My son is 4 1/2 months old and we are finally exclusively breastfeeding with no pain! Things are not perfect, and I still have to be careful how I hold and latch him, but it is good enough. He is gaining weight (slowly, but that is just his way), he is alert and happy, and he has good diaper output. I have stopped constantly worrying about him and we are all so much happier.

When I was going through all this, the worst thing was never knowing for sure whether it would get better, even though several people told me it would. I spent a long time being very unhappy, and having to deal with the disappointment that breastfeeding wasn't working out like I had hoped (and believe me when I said I REALLY wanted to breastfeed!). I doubted we would ever get to this point, but with perseverance, a good degree of determination (or is that stubbornness?!) and the support of the wonderful women on this wonderful forum (particularly aprilsmagic and mommal, but there are others too, phi to name but one), we made it

So if you are where we were a few months ago, don't give up hope - we are living proof it can get better!

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...gue-tie-*LONG*

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...s-about-supply

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...k-and-use-mine

Default Re: Feel like quitting? Don't - IT DOES GET BETTER!!!

YAY! So glad things are going better for you! I think one huge difference breastfeeding my second is that I KNOW IT WILL GET BETTER. The first time, people told me that, but I wasn't sure if I could believe them. This time I know it from my own experience. Also, I'm way too freaking stubborn to give up. Pig-headedness will serve you well!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes ma'am, it does! Nice to see a positive and encouraging thread. Persistence is key.

WTG mama!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language