Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reducing pumping because engourged

Default Reducing pumping because engourged

Quick question. I am pumping and bottle feeding slowly trying to get my baby back to the breast. At night I wake up 6-7 hours after last pumping session to pump (he used to wake at that time but now he's going longer). I wake up engourged so I pump and use the milk for the next day. I want to sleep longer since he is now but I get so engourged. Should I just hold off pumping till later and risk plugged ducts or should I pump a little to relieve the engourgement and wake up again later and do a full pumping session? How do I back off of pumping with engourgement? How long till my body regulates to a new time?

Default Re: Reducing pumping because engourged

If you're waking in discomfort, I suggest waking the baby and nursing him to take the edge off the engorgement. That's probably the easiest way to deal with the situation, and it will give your LO an additional chance to practice nursing. If you don't want to do that, I would probably avoid the pump, since a full-on pumping session will just maintain the overproduction, and even a short pumping session can be to stimulating to supply. I would hand-express until you have restored comfort- just take the edge off and then go back to sleep. The more milk you leave in the breast, the more your body will get the message that it is overproducing at that particular time and the sooner your supply will drop during that time. Unfortunately there's no good answer to the question about when your body will regulate, since every woman is so individual. For some moms it take a couple of nights, for others it takes a lot longer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How old is your baby? Personally, I prefer to nurse a baby than pump, so I would try nursing before pumping in the mornings. That way the baby also gets a chance to nurse at a time when you have ample supply and it's really easy and rewarding for the baby.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

He is 4 months. I would like to breast feed but he will only take my left breast when he is calm and in the middle of the night he gets so hungry he won't breast feed. This has been a battle for me for months. He was on a nursing strike for over a month before I gave up to pumping and bottle feeding. Although i hate pumping if he only feeds from one side he doesnt get enough and is hungry every hour. My ultimate goal is to get back to breast feeding but I am so tired of fighting. I am taking what ever I can get.

Being hungry every hour is normal for a breastfed baby, particularly during the daylight hours. Have you considered (gulp!) just banishing bottles from your life for a day or two, and seeing what happens? Babies are so smart; often they fuss and cut nursing sessions short because they know that when they do you will come running with a bottle. And babies often adore bottles, because it is so easy to get milk out of a bottle. The flow is constant, and the baby doesn't really have to suck actively in order to get the milk to flow.

I know it's a scary idea, but I just wanted rot throw it out there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"