Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping ONLY

Default Pumping ONLY

My baby is 2 weeks old and will not latch on to my breast, so I have been pumping only. I pump after each feeding. I pump both breast at a time and they currently each produce about 2 ounces at each session. I am currently feeding him 2 ounces each feeding. Does this sound right? Is there anything more I should be doing? I also think he is going through a growth spurt as he is eating every hour and a half.

Default Re: Pumping ONLY

You should consider getting baby to the breast instead of exclusively pumping. EPing is easy now, but in a few months, it won't be.

An IBCLC would be very helpful in your situation.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I would definitely keep working on getting your baby to the breast! Some hands on help from an IBCLC could help you get that baby latched on. It is so much better in the long run. And 2 weeks is really early. There is still a great chance that with some work, you could be breastfeeding. In the meantime, keep pumping (and consider getting a hospital grade pump). Your output sounds good, but really, breastfeeding is so much easier in the long run!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PPs. Here's a link on getting baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. Hopefully something in there will work. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be especially helpful.

2 oz at a feeding is fine; many breastfed babies take only that much at a feeding throughout their first year. The key is to read baby's cues and feed him as often as he wants. Formula-fed babies often eat larger amounts less often than their breastfed peers, so don't expect your LO to follow the formula-fed baby pattern of large, infrequent bottles that get bigger and bigger as time goes on.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby never accepted the breast either, and I've been EPing for 9 weeks. It's a lot of work, but some babies don't go to the breast no matter how hard you try (i'm living proof). Good luck!