Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning and irregular schedule/part-time work

Question Pump weaning and irregular schedule/part-time work

Forgive the lengthy post...
    My LO will be a year old in a month or so and we've made it this far EBF! I am looking forward to at least partially weaning from the pump once she reaches the year mark but continuing to nurse on demand when I'm home. I am hoping for some advice regarding how to do this from all of you experienced and wise mamas because I'm confused as to how it might work, especially because I have an irregular work schedule.

The situation:
    I currently pump every morning whether I'm going to work or not and get a 3-4 oz bottle from that. I plan to continue this morning session.

I am away from LO for 6 hours 3 days a week, and 9 hours 1 day a week. Right now I'm pumping 1-2 times while away on the shorter days and 3 times while away on the longer days (I get 3-4 ounces from each of these sessions). I would like to stop these sessions once she's a year old so my work day is not so disrupted.

I always make sure to pump as much in a day as she has consumed and have been able to keep up or exceed her consumption so far. She eats solids voraciously.

My questions:
    Given the irregularity of the schedule, is it possible not to pump while I'm away and not get plugged ducts or engorgement (when I've had to skip a pump/go too long between a couple of times I've had plugged ducts).

Will I really still have enough milk for LO to nurse on demand on days when I'm home the whole day if I'm not pumping the days I'm at work?

How can I best use my freezer stash?-- I have a freezer full of milk because of the extra morning pump I do. I guess LO could continue to drink the same amount while I'm away and use up the freezer stash, or we could do a combo of more solids and a little freezer stash to stretch it longer?

I've probably been over-thinking the whole thing and gotten myself confused! Any help would be appreciated

Default Re: Pump weaning and irregular schedule/part-time work

I work PT, and I quit pumping with my third before he was a year and nursed in demand at home. It was fine. I worked Saturday all day and was home the rest of the time.

And yes, it will be fine. Moms who work FT and pump wean have enough to nurse on demand at home after 12 months.

To prevent plugs, it might be worth dropping one session a week. But the incidence of plugs goes way down after 12 months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Pump weaning and irregular schedule/part-time work

Thanks! That is reassuring.