Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desperate for Sleep Help

Default Re: Desperate for Sleep Help

IMO training her will take more energy and you'll be more sleep deprived. I would wait it out, but that's just me. At 5 mo their sleep change so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lasbi.modeu View Post
    IMO training her will take more energy and you'll be more sleep deprived. I would wait it out, but that's just me. At 5 mo their sleep change so fast.
    Yes, that's why I only suggested once a day if she wants to try it. I would not spend a huge amount of time working on it at this age.

I woke with my baby every 45 minutes to an hour for a really long time. After all of my attempts to improve his sleep failed (and I wouldn't listen to him CIO for any extended period), I just learned to cope with the lack of sleep. I coslept, I went to bed really early, I took every opportunity I could to nap (with my baby or with my DH's help). I had a demanding intellectual job. You just do what you have to do.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks again all. I'm up for tenure soon and am increasingly worried that my demanding intellectual job is going bye bye, along with sleep.

We were up every hour to 45 mins again last night. Going on the 7th week. I don't think I'll try coaching or anything different yet as I'm just too tired to be consistent.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vivsmaman View Post
    We were up every hour to 45 mins again last night. Going on the 7th week. I don't think I'll try coaching or anything different yet as I'm just too tired to be consistent.
    Oh, gosh, I relate. I never night weaned Joe because I was just too freaking tired to spend the week up at all hours of night that would have been necessary for that (and it was something I only considered after a year). In my own personal opinion, it's too early to try anything like that before a year; at that point, when you tell your baby what you are doing, they probably understand a lot of it, and if there is some crying, it is in frustration, not total panic and despair (which is what I heard in my five month old's cry when I didn't respond to him at night).

I'm personally betting this will go on for a bit longer, then a tooth will pop through, and you'll catch a break ... until the next tooth, anyway.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Are you able to delay your tenure decision? My best friend had the option of an extra year after she had her son. Just a thought.

It's hard. Lilah was like that - I don't know if it was teething, but it started around 9 months and lasted until almost 14 months where she woke up every 45 to 90 minutes all night long. Can your husband take a shift so you can get a 3ish hour chunk of sleep every night? Could you pump for one bottle right before you went to bed and see how that goes?

Alternatively - is there something that needs to change with naps and/or bedtime? Could your baby just not be tired enough to sleep very long at 6 or 7 pm?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hi there! I too love nursing my LO down but got to a point where I need to be able to do other things while she napped or slept at night. Bouncing and white noise worked for us. It was a little tough the first day but worked really well after. I would put on the white noise, change the diaper, get her in whatever she needed to sleep in and then I sit on an big exercise ball and I cradle her and bounce. It took about 15 minutes the first time for her to fall asleep but it has gotten down to less than 5 now adays. Once asleep for a minute or two I move her to her crib, I use my whole body to lay her in so she doesn't feel the movement as much, also I move very slowly. Once in the crib I will pat her or jiggle her gently back to sleep if she woke up. If the jiggle doesn't work after 30 seconds, I go back to the bouncing. Good luck!