Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate for Sleep Help

Default Desperate for Sleep Help

I just want to start this by saying that I love nursing my LO. Nursing has been one of the most loving acts I've ever experienced -- and I love my DD for sharing that with me. And nursing has saved us in some bad situations: stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours and, worse, stuck on the side of the road after a car accident (no one was hurt). Not once did I have to worry about my baby going hungry or thirsty.

And, especially as a breast cancer "survivor" (I use that word reluctantly), nursing is one of the most life affirming experiences. Nursing with one breast made me fiercely protective of my supply. I never gave a paci, never gave a bottle (except when advised by an LC), and never denied my girl comfort nursing or middle of the night nursing. Since birth she's nursed to sleep... and I think that's our problem.

LO is now 5 months and for the past 6 weeks she's woken up and nursed back to sleep at least once every hour -- sometimes twice an hour. Lately she screams within a few seconds of waiting for me to even get my breast near her. We're co-sleeping so, really, we're talking a matter of seconds. She usually goes right back out after a few minutes of comfort sucking (no swallowing whatsoever and these are fast and furious sucks). We've been doing a nice early bedtime routine for a while and, despite thinking I'm timing things to her cues, she's getting harder and harder to nurse down after a bath and a story. I'm exhausted and she's also a little bit off during the day -- less smiles and more anxious.

On top of it all it's now impossible to get her to nap with nursing. I walk her in the Ergo 3 times a day for an hour. So I can't even catch up on lost night sleep during her naps. I'm a mess. With all the walking I now weigh less than I did prior to pregnancy. I nearly walked in to traffic with her the other day. I'm scared that the lack of sleep will lead me to hurt her.

Sooo... from reading Pantley I think my dear baby doesn't know how to put herself to sleep and how to get to the next sleep cycle without nursing. I'm afraid that my nursing her to sleep and co-sleeping has just made this much much worse.

I've tried to gently pull her off once she's asleep and to do it again and again when she roots and relatches. This never works for more than 15 mins. In fact, she'll wake up angry and go straight to tears.

I'm not going the CIO route. But I just don't know what to do. Any advice? How can I get her to fall asleep on her own and stay asleep for more than 45 mins? I'd do anything for 2-3 hours.

Thanks for all the support.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Default Re: Desperate for Sleep Help

First of all, it's not your fault. I co-slept with my 3 girls and they were all different. DD3 is the best sleeper, she sucks her thumb so she can put herself to sleep if she wanted to after nursing of course. I love to put my babies to sleep with the breast so I always try that option first. We co-slept since the hospital and she still sometimes just prefer to fall asleep by herself. Not only we co-sleep but I also put her to nap in a wrap from birth till at least 6 mo, she is still my best sleeper.

I think it's personality, you didn't do anything to make things worse, it's just how she is.

If this is a new and sudden thing, I would get her checked for a ear infection, especially if she is not happy during the day as you said. If you rule out a ear infection and this doesn't get better, you could try Dr Gordon's technique. It is recommended for babies over a year old but you can adjust it for a 6 mo. He actually had a version for babies younger than a year old a few years ago.

Hope you can get more sleep, I slept 5 hrs in a row last week for the first time in 10 mo and I was a different person that day, it didn't last long but

Have you had her in to the doc? When there's an abrupt change in sleep habits, you always want to wonder about things like ear infections. And teething, too, of course.

Will your LO sleep in a swing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Please hang in there VIVSMAMAN. I am in the same boat with you as well as TANPIXIE.
    I agree, maybe take the LO to the Doc. My LO is teething like mad right now. Im just taking it a day at a time. It is just season, right!?

I've had the same concerns about sleep but I am quite sure it is normal behavior. Just hang on to the great advice these experienced Mama's are giving us. They have BTDT and know that this too shall pass. Please hang in there!

Let us know how it goes the next few nights...
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

Sounds like teeth to me. Try to Dose her before bedtime with Tylenol. If you get back at least one 3hour block, you'll know it's pain.

Way too lazy for formula

Lots of night wakings are really normal at this age. But because of your baby's crankiness, I would probably have her checked for an ear infection (or other issue, like maybe a sore throat) just in case. That said, it's most likely teething. I know it's hard. It's really common for babies to sleep worse at 5 months than they did as newborns. It's hard, but it's normal, and it does get better! I don't think breastfeeding has anything to do with it - at least you have an easy tool for comforting your uncomfortable baby at night!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

age. Even my bottlefed baby slept horrible at that age.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi Mamas -- Thanks so much for the support. She gave us a wonderful 3 hour stretch of sleep last night (without Tylenol) before moving on to waking for a brief nursing every hour. I thought I was more rested but that didn't stop me from ruining a lentil salad -- I forgot to strain before putting them in the salad (can you say nasty soup surprise?) We had an audiology appt today and, being near the doc, I was able to drop in. No signs of infection.

It really seems that she just needs a little nursing between sleep cycles. Like I said, I don't want to wean but I also can't wake with her, even in a shared bed, every 45 mins to an hour, especially as bedtime is now b/w 6 & 7. So... reading tips from the sleep lady and thinking about nursing to drowsy but putting her down awake and, slowly and gently, getting her accustomed to falling asleep on her own. Anyone tried something similar? Experiences? Success?

And thanks again for just getting it.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

If it's not teeth it could be a bit of anxiety. Some babies don't seem to like it when they nurse to sleep to wake up without you where you were before. Mine seemed to go through a stretch like that. If you suspect teeth and don't want to try Tylenol, you could always try a frozen teether or something. Perhaps you could also try once a day some sort of other soothing method and see if she'll go to sleep that way. Just take your cues from her and if she's receptive try. That way you'll know when she can sort out food from comfort.