Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newborn eats for more than an hour and a half at a time

Default newborn eats for more than an hour and a half at a time

i want to ebf so bad. but it has been so much harder than i thought it would be! i have overcame latching issues, using and getting off nipple shield and breastfed with a milk blister. but my newborn seems to always be hungry when done feeding and my breasts are empty, he gets fussy while on the breast and i can tell there is nothing else coming out. he is one month and since he was born his feedings have been more than an hr and a half because he howls when taken off the breast. my pediatrician said he is using me as a pacifier but i dont think that is true. i have tried soothing him, giving him a paci and putting him in his swing. he just cries and puts his fists in his mouth. so of course, i put him back to nursing and he seems content. so am i not producing enough milk? this cant be a growth spurt since it has been happening since he was born. i know it could affect my supply but i have given him 2 oz of formula a couple times after nursing. i once gave him 4 oz formula instead of nursing to try to give my breasts a break. and he was still hungry! he ended up eating 5.5 oz of formula. I feel like my breasts never get a chance to fill up because he is constantly nursing. its as if any time he is awake he is hungry. If he could go a little bit between feedings my breasts would fill up and he would get full and be satisfied right? when he is so upset, and nursing calms him down right away i feel like it is the right thing to do. it is just so time consuming. I love my lo and want to feed on demand and will continue to do so. just wondering if anyone is going through same thing, and if it gets better. I go back to work in a week! i hope i can pump enough to satisfy him while i am at work.

Default Re: newborn eats for more than an hour and a half at a time

I expect other mothers to chime in on this but ill get the ball rolling. We first will need to know age and how your LOs outputs are. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds normal. Your supply is regulating and your LO is growing at a ferocious rate. I hope if you are giving him formula that you also pump. Your breast is never completly empty. Just feels that way. Our babies have the ability to pull milk from out of no where. But I agree with your ped, he probably is using you as a paci in a way. My DD does it for sure. I can count on one hand the number of times she's taken a paci. She's 4 months old. It's exhausting and no one ever tells you they will nurse like this. No one can ever prep you for the loving commitment you are about to make. It does sound normal to me, as long as his outputs are good, his growth is strong, he's hitting milestones and he's happy. Hope I did good. Good luck!

Agree with PP. how old is lo and how many wet/poopy diapers a day (more than a quarter's worth of poop)? How has weight gain been? It wasn't my experience but some babies are slow eaters, savoring the time with mama. He'll get more efficient at the breast and more interested in the surrounding world around 2-3 months.

Your breasts are never empty. Put down the pump and the formula. And just nurse. Nursing is how baby increase your supply.

You are NOT a pacifier. You are a MOTHER. Doing what your baby needs. Your baby needs to nurse.

However, weight history would be helpful in determining whether or not there is a milk transfer problem. However, IME, when a ped tells a mom baby is using her as a pacifier, there is no milk transfer problem. Instead, someone perceives a problem with baby doing what instincts tell it to do.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with the PPs. Everything here sounds normal, except perhaps for the extremely long feedings. Some babies simply take a long time to nurse, but others are not efficient at the breast because they're extremely sleepy or because they have latch issues. A weight history would help us identify whether or not there's likely to be a problem with milk transfer. Also, how does nursing feel? Is it painful at all?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

lo is one month old. he was born at 8 lbs 10 oz. when we left hospital was down to 7 lbs 13 oz. but at 2 wk appt up to 9 lbs 10 oz. he is well over 10 lbs by now. which is very reassuring. this whole month i have just been nursing, nursing and nursing. its been nice to have this time to bond with him i just am worried that supply is constantly not enough to keep him satisfied. it only hurts first minute or so when he first latches on, after that not so much. in the hospital we had horrible time trying to get the hang of latching and he barely ate. i used nipple shield for 2 wks and just weaned off that successfully. you can tell he is drinking. after a little bit though he gets so fussy and just lets go screaming as if nothing is coming out. tries again to eat and then starts screaming again. he has 10-12 very wet and dirty diapers a day. what the pediatrician said was that he should be eating about 15 min per breast and to give him a paci after that. which i think is horrible advice. just let him howl it out with his fists in his mouth acting as if he still hungry?? so my first reaction is to put him back on breast and he is fine. my instincts tell me he really is still hungry. i go back to work in a week. i just want to keep my baby happy and comforted but its going to be so hard to juggle everything with those long feedings. i want to make sure i pump enough as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*anarevalo1122 View Post
    lo is one month old. he was born at 8 lbs 10 oz. when we left hospital was down to 7 lbs 13 oz. but at 2 wk appt up to 9 lbs 10 oz. he is well over 10 lbs by now. which is very reassuring. this whole month i have just been nursing, nursing and nursing. its been nice to have this time to bond with him i just am worried that supply is constantly not enough to keep him satisfied. it only hurts first minute or so when he first latches on, after that not so much. in the hospital we had horrible time trying to get the hang of latching and he barely ate. i used nipple shield for 2 wks and just weaned off that successfully. you can tell he is drinking. after a little bit though he gets so fussy and just lets go screaming as if nothing is coming out. tries again to eat and then starts screaming again. he has 10-12 very wet and dirty diapers a day. what the pediatrician said was that he should be eating about 15 min per breast and to give him a paci after that. which i think is horrible advice. just let him howl it out with his fists in his mouth acting as if he still hungry?? so my first reaction is to put him back on breast and he is fine. my instincts tell me he really is still hungry. i go back to work in a week. i just want to keep my baby happy and comforted but its going to be so hard to juggle everything with those long feedings. i want to make sure i pump enough as well.
    Just offering empathy as I can really relate to this. At 9 wks my LO still nurses for hours daily. Weight/diapers are good, she's just very tough to soothe. Won't take paci or finger, been testing for weeks just to see if she just wanted to suck. I pull off at 60, 90 min, she goes nuts. I'll work for 10 to 20 min on alt soothing options and almost always end up back on the breast. Thought it would get easier, I swear it's getting tougher. I go back to work in 15 days and am agonizing over how it's going to go and have no idea how I'm going to get out the door (or stay out for that matter).
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

So for example, just this morning he ate for a while, over an hour and 15 min, dozed off, and when I laid him down he was up in 2 min crying with his fists in his mouth. I put him back to nurse and he starts acting very fussy. unlatching and screaming then trying to eat again and screaming. this goes on for about a half hour. he continues to howl. So I give him 2 oz of formula and he is fine. he falls asleep, and I lay him down. He woke up within a minute again I started to talk and play with him and keep him occupied but I he started to cry about 10 min later. I really feel like its as if anytime my lo is awake, he is hungry. could it be a tummy ache that he is confusing with hunger? I am afraid to go outside of house unless he is sleeping. I cant bring him to store or to visit his grandma unless he is sleeping or he will start screaming in car or when we get there. the only thing that makes me think it is not a tummy ache is that when he is full he seems so happy and satisfied and falls asleep for 2 or 3 hrs. @ debbers, at least I know I am not the only one. if you have not given your lo formula you are doing great. I feel horrible the few times Ive done it. I always pump after but I am just going to continue to work at it. we must just have some hungry little babies!
    Last edited by @llli*anarevalo1122; September 18th, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

The weight gain you are seeing and the amount of dirty diapers say that you are DEFINITELY NOT experiencing a supply issue. But to increase your entire size by 30% in 2 weeks IS going to need constant feeding. What's going to happen if you keep feeding him until you go back to work is you are going to be be able to pump a great amount BECAUSE your amounts that you need to feed are going to be there BECAUSE you and your baby have worked this whole time to regulate your supply. I am wincing at the idea of you feeding 5.5 oz of formula to your little one who is obviously growing well. Don't doubt yourself. You are fine. It's completely NORMAL for it to be an all consuming task to feed the baby for the 1st 6-12 weeks. True Story. So just do it and do it until you go back to work. Work on your 1st day stash the week before you go back. Make sure you have 1.5 oz of milk for every hour you are away. 2oz if you are doubtful. Anything MORE than 2oz an hour while you are away is overfeeding. So concentrate on those numbers for Day one. And expect to be able to pump the correct amount while away.

Way too lazy for formula

That is great weight gain! I would definitely recommend quitting the formula. He's gaining well. It is normal to spend most of your time feeding your baby, although I would expect he'll get more efficient at nursing and will spend less time as he gets older. But really, your primary task is to keep him fed and any other chore can be delegated to somebody else (or just have a break from being done). My life revolved around nursing my baby the first year, and we had to overcome a lot of problems and really, in the end, my house wasn't as clean but it worked out. Nursing to calm your baby and keep him happy is totally normal and appropriate.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.