Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mother-in-law help

Default Mother-in-law help

Hello--
    So I just got a call from my mother in law. She watches our baby while we are at work, which is a HUGE BLESSING!! Dont get me wrong, I know that this is a huge help but I have been having a hard time with her and the whole feeding.... She called me this morning and said that the baby had fallen asleep in her arms for about 20 minutes and woke up a little fussy so she decided to try and feed her some cereal. She said she took a couple bites and then gagged. She called me to let me know I had forgotten a few things to leave her (nothing of actual need of course) and to let me know about this. I told her that I didnt think she could be hungry since she nursed at 7 this morning. She tried to feed her at 8:30!

This has been somewhat of an issue... I just feel that everytime the baby is fussy, she thinks she needs to feed her. Also, she will wake the baby up from sleep to feed her. So she is not feeding her on demand. I just dont know how to handle this without hurting her feelings. I know she is wanting to do what is best for our baby but I just dont want overfeeding to be an issue. Our baby is eating 5 oz bottles ands sometimes that doesnt satisfy her....

Any pointers?

Default Re: Mother-in-law help

how old is your baby?

babies might definitely be hungry after an hour and a half. it seems like all-around your MIL is not cue feeding. 5 oz is a pretty big bottle for a breastfed baby; many never take more than 3 oz at a time (but they eat more frequently).

have you seen this? you can print it for MIL:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

She is 6 1/2 months old. When she is with me, she doesnt eat that often.. She usually goes 3-4 hours in between. I have told my MIL that 5 oz is the most she should have but sometimes when she is done with the 5oz, she is ready for more and will cry until she gets. There was one day last week that she had to have 8oz until she was satisfied

Have you told MIL to try other ways to soothe her other than food? What about a pacifier after the bottle?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Ill check and see if she is still doing that... We were having to do the pacifier after the bottle before but Im not sure if she has still been doing it...

Tell her that under no circumstances should she be waking her to feed her. At 6.5 months your baby is more than able to sleep for as long as she needs / wants.

If she feeds her, she should be watching baby's cues, not the level on the bottle. If baby is turning away, she's done. She doesn't need to 'just finish it up'.

Cereal should only be given after a bottle. It's for discovery, not nutrition at this very tender age. So you don't want her filling up on empty calories of cereal and not getting her BM.

There are some great articles on Kellymom.com - maybe print some of those out for her?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and