Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Whats going on with me??

Default Whats going on with me??

Weirdest thing... The first time I pumped today I got 3 1/2 oz. Which is a normal 1st pumping session. The 2nd time I pump I average about 2.5 oz, but today I only got 1 oz total!! I am trying not to freak out. What the heck is going on with me???

Default Re: Whats going on with me??

How old is your baby? How old is your pump? Have you changed the membranes lately? Were all of the parts installed snugly? Could you be about to start your period?

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons you may have pumped a little less today, and most aren't serious. Most women find they need to change out parts on their pump FREQUENTLY or it will lose suction.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I wouldn't freak out based on just one pumping session, but it is worth thinking through what might be going on. Things to consider: menstrual cycle (my output sometimes drops when I get my period); medications (are you taking anything new, including over-the-counters? sometimes even medications that are not "supposed" to affect milk output do); change in your diet or water intake (are you trying to lose weight? have you been keeping up with your food and water intake, eating healthy nutritious foods?); exhaustion (are you more tired than usual?); change in baby's feeding habits (has baby started sleeping through the night, so you're no longer nursing as many times over 24 hours?); stress/anxiety (are you having a particularly stressful day at work, or any other new stresses in your life?) - or anything else you can think of that might be different now. How old is your baby? My experience is that milk supply does slow down somewhat over time, but it's usually not an abrupt drop from one day to the next. I've also had times when my pump output drops for no apparent reason (or, there may be a reason but I just haven't figured it out) and then comes back. If you do find that you have a sustained drop in output and you're not able to keep up, then you may need to increase pumping frequency and/or time pumping time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I wouldn't freak out based on just one pumping session, but it is worth thinking through what might be going on. Things to consider: menstrual cycle (my output sometimes drops when I get my period); medications (are you taking anything new, including over-the-counters? sometimes even medications that are not "supposed" to affect milk output do); change in your diet or water intake (are you trying to lose weight? have you been keeping up with your food and water intake, eating healthy nutritious foods?); exhaustion (are you more tired than usual?); change in baby's feeding habits (has baby started sleeping through the night, so you're no longer nursing as many times over 24 hours?); stress/anxiety (are you having a particularly stressful day at work, or any other new stresses in your life?) - or anything else you can think of that might be different now. How old is your baby? My experience is that milk supply does slow down somewhat over time, but it's usually not an abrupt drop from one day to the next. I've also had times when my pump output drops for no apparent reason (or, there may be a reason but I just haven't figured it out) and then comes back. If you do find that you have a sustained drop in output and you're not able to keep up, then you may need to increase pumping frequency and/or time pumping time.
    My pump is being rented from my insurance company, so it is a hospital grade. I am on UTI medication that I got last Thursday. It isn't suppost to do anything to my milk, but I wonder if it is. My water intake is not so great this weekend. Maybe I just need to relax a bit. I just don't want to have to supplement.

I think the UTI explains a lot - your body is fighting off an infection, after all - even without nursing a baby UTIs can knock someone out! Try to get some extra rest, keep up with your fluids, and see where you are in a couple days.

Do you have any sore or tender spots on your breasts? Sometimes a clogged duct can reduce output a bit, and you need to massage it and work out the clog to get your supply back.

Also, sometimes you just have a bad day, and that's okay. I agree, there's no reason to freak out about one session, but I'd be keeping an eye on things to make sure it doesn't get worse or point to something else.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.