Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Building a stash QUICKLY & baby dropping the nipple

Default Building a stash QUICKLY & baby dropping the nipple

LO and I are finally getting on the right track after all our problems, but we're still not quite there.

First of all, unfortunately DH has lost his job, so I could be starting work very soon. If I do find a job, we're not in a position financially for me to delay starting work, I'll have to start immediately. Do I have any hope of building up a freezer stash, when potentially (hopefully) I could be working as early as next week? (I'm renting a hospital grade pump)

Second, we're still having problems with LO's behaviour at the breast. She still refuses the breast sometimes, but I find that feeding her while in motion tends to help that. What I can't seem to stop is that every now and then she kicks and hits me, spits the nipple out, cries, then looks for the nipple again, and repeat. What is happening here? She's not arching her back, so I don't think it's reflux, and she's actually been on a reflux treatment for a couple of weeks now. I understand that she's a baby and doesn't know any better, but I can't understand why she keeps spitting the breast out if she's still hungry (by the way, she never spits the bottle out), and I have no idea what to do about it.

Default Re: Building a stash QUICKLY & baby dropping the nipple

I'm so sorry to hear about your DH losing his job.

Why do you need a freezer stash? Really all you need is enough milk to get through the first day, and then you should be pumping enough for the next day each day you work.

If you respond well to pumping and you have some extra time, you may be able to pump enough for your first day back at work over a matter of a couple of days. My supply is not particularly abundant and I can often pump enough for Monday over the weekend (I'll put milk I pump on Friday in the freezer) if I put my mind to it. Pump after your baby feeds, especially in the morning when your milk is most plentiful and after baby goes to bed.

But again, you should only need a freezer stash if you'll be away overnight and not able to bring your milk to your baby at the end of the day, or if your pump output starts getting low, at which point you'll want to do some work to correct that issue. Basically, what it comes down to is if you ARE able to easily build up a significant freezer stash right now, you probably don't need one at all.

yup, you need just enough milk for the first day, because then you'll pump on the first day for the second day. any extra you've got in the freezer is buffer, which is great, but you can definitely do this in a week. in fact we often recommend on here that moms don't need to start pumping to build a stash until a week or two before they start back.

as far as the other, hopefully someone else will answer!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

We're still having the same problem with her dropping the nipple. If anything, it's getting worse; and I'm close to quitting after all the other problems we've had. DH thinks it could be something to do with her teething, could this be it?
    (Sorry for the bump, I'm desperate)

How old is your little one? Do you think she prefers the bottle to the breast? Sometimes babies get frustrated with how much work it takes to get milk out of the breast. There's not a whole lot you can do about that except make sure you are only giving her low flow nipples on her bottle, small servings of milk, and offering the breast as much as you can. I often have to walk around jiggling my little one to get her to take the breast, especially after she's had the bottle all day. Ironically, she will often do this with the bottle after breastfeeding all night too. It can help if you ONLY offer the breast when you are home - other people can offer bottles, but not you, and not if you're home. Not offering a "choice" helps.

Teething could definitely be worsening things as well. I know it's frustrating (and I dont' know about all of your other problems) but if she's nursing, I'd just keep it up! It is most likely a behavior thing that will go away on its own, so definitely not worth quitting over. Hang in there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Some babies will get fussy like this at the breast if they also receive bottles. They may prefer the fast flow from the bottle so may fuss at the breast especially if they are particularly hungry.

Just a guess. This may not be the problem. Many babies go back and forth between bottle and breast without issue.

Kellymom's got a good link on this, hope you can figure out what's going on.

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussybaby/

About building the stash, just pump as much as you can before you go back to work. You should be able to get enough for at least the 1st day.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.