Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fixing bad latch in a 3 month old

Default Fixing bad latch in a 3 month old

Is it possible to fix an inefficient latch in a 3 month old? Is it too late?

My nipple has always been lipstick shaped after nursing, but I was told by the IBCLC in the hospital that she'd likely grow into a better latch, and then was told by a LLL leader that as long as I wasn't in pain and she was growing, we didn't need to worry about it.

Well, now my oversupply has regulated (possibly a little too low) and she seems to be having trouble transferring milk efficiently. When I ha oversupply she didn't need a strong latch or suck, but now she does. She's still producing enough wets and good poops, but her weight gain hasn't been as good as before. Last week it was just 4 ounces. Thr week before was 7oz, but before that it was 5oz. She used to be consistently 7 ounces every week. N

Beyond the weight issue, she's also fussy at the breast. I mentioned this in other posts, but on Dr. Newsman's advice, I am working to increase my supply to increase the "flow" because he thinks that's the root of her fussiness/popping off constantly. We'll see. It sounds like he wants me basically at a slight oversupply in order for the flow to be fast enough for her happiness and to make up for a less than ideal latch.

So, I've watched latching videos and such and we're working with a new IBCLC. However, it just seems like she refuses to take the breast any further in than before. Also, her suck has never felt very strong. Can anything be done to strengthen a suck?

Thanks!

Default Re: Fixing bad latch in a 3 month old

Forgot to mention that she'll be 3 months old on Friday!

Default Re: Fixing bad latch in a 3 month old

What about chiropractic care or craniosacral therapy to help with latch? Is it mainly for latch issues related to birth trauma or injury?