Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can part of your milk supply dry up?

Default Can part of your milk supply dry up?

Ok, so pediatrician suggested using nipple shields to help Aibhlyn latch until she gets bigger.
    Well she didn't tell me they could decrease my milk supply (by constricting the milk ducts).
    So my supply went from 5-6oz per breast to 1oz in my left and less than 1/2oz in my right in just a weeks time!

I've been working like crazy to get the supply back up (fenugreek, mothers milk tea, lots of pumping and now also some medication), and I'm now getting 4-5oz out of left but cannot get right to produce more than 2.

Is it possible that since it went so far down that some of the glands dried up? If not then what? Or is there anything else I can do?

Default Re: Can part of your milk supply dry up?

It's all supply and demand. If that breast produces less than put a higher demand on it. Begin every feed on that breast and feed of of it every time and only feed off the other every other time. But are talking about how much you pump off the breast? Because incidentally you will never ever need 4-6 oz of a one side at one time in terms of feeding. The baby will only ever drink1-3 oz at a time. So that amount mean something in terms of if you are pumping at work? If you are home with your baby, you need not worry about it at all. Just feed your baby on demand at the breast, if you are weaned off the shield and your milk supply will be fine.

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re: Can part of your milk supply dry up?

with everything the PP wrote. It's all supply and demand: demand more milk and you will make more. And you are already making more than enough, since 6-7 oz of milk at a nursing session is more than your baby is ever likely to need. Nurse on demand and ditch the shield, and everything should be fine!

I thnk it also might really help of you went to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for some help! When you're struggling with a difficult latch in a newborn, there's no substitute for the professional, hands-on approach.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"