Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long should I pump?

Default How long should I pump?

I don't think I'm in the correct area to write this - but the thread for milk supply - I can't do anything with.
    I'm desperately trying to build my milk supply back up. Daughter is only getting about an ounce at ea. feeding. When I pump, how long should I pump? I usually go about 10 min. Stinks when I get about a drop. If I go 4 hrs at night w/o feeding her, I may get an ounce. Should I be pumping longer?

Default Re: How long should I pump?

I'm sorry things are not going well for you. I will get your post switched to the milk supply forum. But in the meantime, let me ask you a few more questions.

Are you working with an LC or LLLL? Do you know if you have a local LLL group? It might be very helpful for you to have someone to work with in person. Sometimes it is difficult for us to see everything that is going on with a mom's situation. But I will certainly try my best!

How old is dd?
    Does she nurse at all?
    How often do you pump in 24 hours?
    What type of pump? New or used?
    Are you double pumping?

Typically LLL suggests pumping for 10-15 minutes, and then 1-2 minutes after no more drops are coming out. This assures that you get a second let-down, if one is possible.