Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting solids soon...???

Default Starting solids soon...???

Hello Ladies !
    My LO will be 6 months old at the end of the month. I want to start her on sweet potatoes as her first food, but I just don't know what to do after I start her on it.Here are some of my concerns :

When I start feeding her, how long do I feed her the sweet potato for ? a week, 2 weeks ?

Then, when can I start adding in a different food (I.E fruit or veggie ) ?

Do I just feed her once a day starting out ? and then when do I UP her intake ?

I've heard that to start out, you should only feed your baby a few tablespoons at a time ?

I'm sorry for the bombarding of questions, I can't find any answers, and my pedi is no help !

Thanks !!!

Default Re: Starting solids soon...???

Feed her the same food for several days in a row, watching for signs of allergy (hives, wheezing). Allergies should not be a huge concern unless there is a lot of allergy on one or both sides of the family.

After a few days, try a new food, and repeat the process above.

Start out offering solids once a day, offering a teaspoon or two at a time. Remember that until around the first birthday, breastmilk or formula meets all a baby's nutritional needs and provides ideal, balanced nutrition. That means that until the first birthday, solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills ONLY, and should be offered as a complement to your baby's breastmilk intake, not a replacement. When baby seems eager for more, allow her to eat more, but until the first birthday, always nurse before offering solids.

Because solids are "until one, just for fun", allowing baby to play with solids is just as important as allowing her to eat them. So if baby eats some solids, great. If she tastes them but then spits them out, still great. If she won't taste them and merely prefers to explore them with her hands, still great.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

you might also check out "baby led solids" or "baby led weaning" on this board and other places. it was fantastic for us.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

There is also a FAQ page here on the site which does in fact answer questions. http://www.llli.org/nb/nbsolids.html

Way too lazy for formula

Ahhhhhhh Great !!!

Thank you so much !!!!!

Heya, we are doing baby led weaning, no puree and we did not just give one food at a time...unless you have allergies in the family, this isn't always necessary.
    So I think the first thing she had was a finger of cucumber...and I offered her something every time I ate, sat in high chair next to me. Sometime she ate it, or put it in her mouth, a lot of times it ended up on the floor...and still does, but to a lesser extent, it is just taste and texture to start with. You can tell when she starts to digest as her nappies will change....they can be quite phenomenal!
    Gil Rapley has a book about baby led weaning, very helpful, and a cookbook...not cohesive am afraid, lack of sleep!!!...you also have to trust your baby to take what they need, lo is now 10 months old and the other day took nothing but bread from my lunch...another day she wouldn't want that.
    Good luck with it all.