Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Normal late afternoon/evening low supply?

Default Normal late afternoon/evening low supply?

I know that supply lulls a bit in the late afternoons and evenings, but the past few days it seems like my daughter is barely doing any swallowing at all during those feedings. Maybe a minute during the first letdown and that's it. She's so fussing during those feedings...

I feel confused because I believe my overall supply is okay based on her diapers (and hopefully weight gain - I'm going to weigh her again tomorrow), but the difference between early morning and late afternoon feedings/supply is crazy. Early mornings she barely can finish one breast...late afternoon she can switch nurse over and over and barely get anything.

Default Re: Normal late afternoon/evening low supply?

it's totally normal and fine-fussiness and all-as long as baby continues to get enough milk overall. Going through the exact same thing right now.

also, swallowing was always hard for me to keep track of. sometimes i'd hear it, sometimes i couldn't, but DS clearly did just fine and we had practically no nursing problems. so unless there are specific problems you're watching for, i'd suggest relaxing your vigilance about listening for swallows
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately we have had questions about how well she's transferring milk (as well as my supply), so I keep an eye (ear!) on swallowing. Not so much that I don't just let her comfort nurse to her heart's content, but the IBCLC that we're working with asked me to watch for how much of a feeding she's actually transferring milk. (Obvioysly taking into account swings in supply through the day...)

got it. still: huge difference is entirely normal.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

In general, I have a pretty ample, strong supply, but I still feel like my supply is low or nonexistent in the evenings - my baby wants to nurse all the time and I don't hear much swallowing. So I think it's really normal and not an indication that your supply is *actually* low (as long as you're seeing good output and there is lots of swallowing at other times).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the reassurance!