Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk blister?

Default Milk blister?

My DD is currently 3 months old, and I believe I have a milk blister. Almost three weeks ago, I had a plugged duct, but I was able to get relief from frequent nursing and heat/massage. Since then I have had a white dot on my nipple. I thought it was getting better because I could barely see it, but then I started to develop what I thought was thrush. I called my doctor and lactation consultant, and they first prescribed nystatin cream and then Diflucan. Ever since I started the cream (two weeks ago), the milk blister has gotten bigger and bigger. It now covers almost half my nipple and is very painful. I don't know if they are related at all. Anyway I have tried soaking my nipple in Epsom salt and putting a olive oil soaked cotton ball on my nipple, and it is still there! I called the LC through my insurance and they read me the kellymom article on how to treat milk blisters, which I had already read myself!! I tried today to pop it, but it started to bleed, and it's so big that I don't know where exactly to pop it. I am also really bad with pain, and it makes me dizzy to think about doing more. Should I call my doctor? Has anyone had their doctor treat them for this before? I don't know what else to do. I am scared my daughter is going to go on a nursing strike because there are times when I will accidently scream out in pain when she nurses on that side. I know I shouldn't, but it hurts so bad right now that I sometimes can't help it. Any help or suggestions would be great!
    Thank you!

Default Re: Milk blister?

It looks like we missed this one. I'm so sorry!

How are you feeling now? Did you see your doctor?

It does sound like a milk blister/bleb, but obviously not one that's easily cleared. I would definitely suggest talking to your doctor if you haven't already and it's still there.

Let us know how you're doing, when you get a chance!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--