Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: VERY mucousy poops?

Default VERY mucousy poops?

Is it ok for most poops to be pretty mucousy? They're always in thr yellow family, but they vary from a little slimy...to very mucousy (with seedy-ness, too). I just changed a diaper that, when pressing the sides of the diaper together, strings of mucous stretched from side to side. There were even little "balls" of mucous (I squeezed them to see if it was just large milk fat seeds, but they were squishy and held their shape like jello). Normal?

Default Re: VERY mucousy poops?

Another one today. Bright yellow with seeds...but, literally, wads of stringy mucous throughout. I spoke her pediatrician's nurse, who suggested an elimination diet starting with dairy. Could dairy also be the culprit behind her fussing during (but not after!) feedings? She's gassy and her poops are pretty explosive, but I always thought that was just normal baby variation...

Some of all my babies' stools were slimy to some extent. Dairy is a common allergen, but a dairy elimination trial is tough. Could be worth a shot if you want to give it a whirl.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Meh, I wouldn't do any dietary eliminations over occasional weird diapers. As long as baby is generally happy, healthy, and growing I'd consider it to be a normal baby variation.

Fussing during feedings is not related to allergies, AFAIK. It's usually related to something that is happening during the feeding- like a fast flow of milk, or a slowed flow of milk, or a gas bubble, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"