Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spacing out feedings to get a better latch?

Default Spacing out feedings to get a better latch?

DD has a posterior tongue tie. I decided we would try therapy first before getting it snipped because she does seem to have good movement and she seems to have issues not related to the tie that are causing problems breastfeeding. She can't curl up the sides or lift the front when her mouth is open so she doesn't cup the breast, but the tie is all the way in the back and not visible, plus her tongue tip rests behind her upper gums when she's asleep so it can lift so I just don't know..

The therapist thinks her latch isn't improving because I feed her too much. She wants me to wait at least two hours between the end of one feeding and the beginning of another so she is really hungry. She also wants me to work on getting her to take a paci so she can see how she sucks. She couldn't stimulate a rooting or sucking reflex with a paci or finger so she couldn't really tell what was going on.

Problem is, last time I tried spacing them out (she doesn't fuss or act hungry so I thought everything was fine), she was only making up to 3 wet diapers a day, and that was only an hour between a few feedings. I've also read in various places that scheduling feedings with a tt baby is basically begging for failure to thrive, and I believe in feeding on demand for food or comfort.

But I do want her latch problems sorted out. She gets SO much gas from all the air she swallows and I'm sure even more since I'm comfort eating junk food all the time (did you say chocolate?) because I'm so stressed. The eating all the time doesn't even bother me - it's listening to her click away knowing she's going to be miserable in a couple of hours until I find a way to "deflate" her (she blows up like a balloon) only to have to do it all over again.

Does the advice (spacing them so she will work harder and hopefully figure out how her tongue is supposed to work) sound good or is spacing them just begging to end bf?

Default Re: Spacing out feedings to get a better latch?

So sorry to hear about your struggles. Personally, I would not be spacing out feedings in the the early days and months with a baby. Following their cues is crucial to your milk supply developing properly. What happens when you get the latch worked out (which you WILL!) and then you have a low supply. In our experience, letting a baby get too hungry resulted in hysterical crying.
    Who is this therapist? What credentials does she have? Is she advising you against getting the tongue snipped? I personally would get the tongue snipped and work on the other curling issues afterwards. I would not be spacing feedings to make her "really hungry". Seems cruel to your baby and to your instinct as a mother.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

with the PP. That sounds like awful advice to me. One major risk with tongue tie is that the baby's latch is so ineffective that she cannot transfer milk well. Often tongue-tied babies compensate for ineffective feedings with long and/or frequent feedings. Spacing feedings out risks short-circuiting that compensatory strategy.

I can understand that your baby's gassiness and discomfort are upsetting and you're desperately looking for a way to fix those issues, but the advice you've been given seems like it's more likely to add a whole other set of issues to the ones you already have.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

On the "really hungry" thing - she didn't mean to wait until she was starving. She feels like DD never has a chance to actually get hungry because she's grazing all day. I feel like she never has a chance to get full.

It goes against everything I've read and heard but I didn't know if there were some circumstances where it was okay. I really don't want her to have to have her tongue snipped. I know it's not supposed to hurt much but I just don't want to put her through it if we don't have to.

She also said that she thinks me feeding her too much has reduced her rooting and sucking reflexes because she wouldn't root or suck anything no matter what she tried. She's never taken anything without a fight but a boob, though (I gave her a couple of bottles in the first and second week because I didn't want her to be re-admitted for jaundice) and wouldn't suck an LC's finger in the first week. I tried explaining that.. if her reflexes aren't strong, it's been that way since birth. She NEVER roots for anything touching her.. only if she's on her belly or if she's up next to my breast.

I'm not sure what her credentials are. DD's pedi referred us to her. They do speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc.

Oh, and she didn't advise against getting it snipped. I asked her if she thought it would help but she wasn't sure either way. If it doesn't improve in the next couple of weeks, I'll suck it up and do it. The worst part to me isn't even having it snipped - it's the stretches afterwards to keep it from reattaching. At least the doctor's the one doing the clipping. I'll be the one who has to stretch and I don't want to hurt her.

A lot of people here have had their child's tongue clipped. You could definitely post looking for some info on what to expect afterwards.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*briplusamie View Post
    On the "really hungry" thing - she didn't mean to wait until she was starving. She feels like DD never has a chance to actually get hungry because she's grazing all day. I feel like she never has a chance to get full.

It goes against everything I've read and heard but I didn't know if there were some circumstances where it was okay.
    How old is your baby? And how is her weight gain?

Human babies are designed to nurse for short periods frequently. "Grazing" is actually a great way to prevent a lot of problems.

I suspect spacing out the feedings would actually make the problem worse. If she's really hungry, she's going to nurse more vigorously or frantically, and probably swallow even more air.

She also said that she thinks me feeding her too much has reduced her rooting and sucking reflexes because she wouldn't root or suck anything no matter what she tried. She's never taken anything without a fight but a boob, though (I gave her a couple of bottles in the first and second week because I didn't want her to be re-admitted for jaundice) and wouldn't suck an LC's finger in the first week. I tried explaining that.. if her reflexes aren't strong, it's been that way since birth. She NEVER roots for anything touching her.. only if she's on her belly or if she's up next to my breast.
    You're absolutely right on this one -- if there's an issue with her rooting or sucking reflexes, it's innate, not something you have any influence over. It definitely would NOT be caused by feeding too much. You really can't breastfeed too much anyway.

I'm not sure what her credentials are. DD's pedi referred us to her. They do speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc.
    They may not have any particular training in breastfeeding then. I'd suggest looking for a board-certified lactation consultant (IBCLC). Try the International Lactation Consultant Association directory to see if there are any in your area.

It sounds to me like your instincts are on the right track.

ETA: I just read through your other posts and saw you've already been to an LC. You probably feel like you're being sent in circles, huh?

But from what you said in a previous post, your baby is gaining fine, right? That's really good news! So she is transferring milk, but the issue is that she's swallowing a lot of air and is gassy? Does she seem to be in pain?
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; September 12th, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks.

I'm going to see when I can go have the tie revised. We had an appointment today but things came up and we couldn't travel that far so I was just going to try therapy. I spoke with the IBCLC again and I really don't think she knows much about posterior tongue ties but she said I should try to work up to around an hour between feedings. So I tried to take a little break (only 30 minutes after an hour long session) and she was just screaming and screaming. If they can't help without telling me to starve her and revision might help, I'm going to go ahead and get it done.

ETA: Yes, she seems to be in pain. She used to cry all day before I knew what it was but I started giving her tummy massages and doing bicycles with her a few times a day and she seems MUCH happier. Every few hours and through the night, she's constantly pulling her legs to her chest and arching her back and she seems really uncomfortable. She wakes up passing gas.. if I had as much gas as she does, I would be miserable.. I don't even know how she holds so much in her little belly.
    Last edited by @llli*briplusamie; September 12th, 2012 at 01:17 PM.

I haven't had a baby with a tongue tie, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

I would get the tongue clipped. IF it is causing issues, it needs to be remedied so that you know what is or isn't causing an issue. As PP's have said, TT's can cause for poor milk transfer which can impact your supply, affect baby's weight gain and cause painful gas.

It's normal at this age for babies to want to nurse constantly. Additionally, if she's not transferring milk well, she'll be that much more hungry / that much more need to nurse, MORE! So limiting her nursing sounds like bad advice coming and going.

I know it's easier said than done, but I'd rather get my baby assessed by someone who is very familiar with tongue ties, evaluate it, have it clipped if need be and work with an IBCLC. At least that way you're being advised on breast feeding - which is your highest priority right now. Ask if the IBCLC can refer you to someone.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

my daughter had tongue tie, aka tight frenulum, and after it was clipped nursing was so much easier... in terms of the actual procedure, i think i cryed more than she did... not kidding, she barely noticed...