Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any nursing in an Ergo experts? :)

Default Any nursing in an Ergo experts? :)

I just got my Ergo a few days ago and am still getting used to how to use the insert and how to get DD in a good position (I used a Bjorn with my son so this is an adjustment). So far I really like it but one of the reasons I got it was so I could nurse her anytime and be hands free for my toddler. I can't quite get the hang of how to feed DD in the Ergo. It seems like her head is way higher than my breasts-even when I loosen one of the shoulder straps. Maybe my torso is just too short or my breasts are too low? Any suggestions?
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

Default Re: Any nursing in an Ergo experts? :)

I don't use the insert so I don't know how that effects it, but I nurse all the time in my ergo. Basically I pull it down around my hips and pull a breast out and go for it! Lol. I do use my hand to hold the breast up...deflated as they are!
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; September 15th, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I am starting to wonder if it will work for us once she's out of the insert. The insert raises her up a good 6 inches at least!
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

I am trying to remember when I started nursing in it... maybe three months? We were probably done with the insert. But I would just way loosen the hip belt, and the straps, until he was down a lot further. Then pull my boob out of my shirt and nurse him that way. It was awesome - I nursed him so many places! Definitely a life-saver with an older kiddo who had playdates, swim lessons, etc.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I didn't get our Ergo until dd1 was 8 months old, and at that point she could nurse in it - but I've been wondering the same thing now with dd2 only 2 months old. I think you're probably right that the insert makes them too high - my baby is was higher than my breasts, too! Maybe we can try putting it on super low and loosening the straps like people have suggested Hope it works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*satin.mama View Post
    Maybe we can try putting it on super low and loosening the straps like people have suggested Hope it works for you!
    We're gonna be the two weirdos in the world wearing our Ergos around our butts!
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

I'd love to hear why you all chose the Ergo. We have three diff slings/carriers and none of them is really working when I absolutely need to do something in the house and my DS needs to be close to me (which is pretty much all day long). One carrier, the boba carrier is a little too warm and I think it squishes her feet/legs too much. You wear it in front with infant facing you and the panel is really big (and I am really small). I do 2 to 3 mile walks with her in it if the temp stays low 80s or less. The boba wrap cocoons hers which is really nice, but stretches so much it doesn't maintain support. It's one big piece of fabric and hard to put on esp if your short and small. My balboa ring sling is nice, but I only use a couple holds and at only 9 wks I still need to support her with a full hand. I'll buy a darn 4th carrier if I'm certain it will help me be more mobile and hands free at home.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

i'm a big fan of having multiple carriers - i have 2 mei tais, a boba, and 2 ring slings - but all of them have a learning curve and you'll get better at all of them. keep trying them all periodically as you change, baby changes, weather changes. but babywearing is warm. do you have her legs out in the boba?

if you already have an ergo, and are looking for another carrier, i highly rec a mei tai. i found it to be the coolest, as baby gets side ventilation. i loved my freehand when he was little and got a kozy at a year; i will probably use the freehand for a second baby when they're little, if it's warm out.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    do you have her legs out in the boba?
    I do not. (in either the boba carrier or the boba wrap). She was 5lbs 13 oz at birth and at 9 wks I have her almost at 10lbs (I think, 2 mos check up is in 5 days) and she doesn't seem large enough to have her legs out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    if you already have an ergo, and are looking for another carrier, i highly rec a mei tai.
    The mei tai looks promising with practice as the website says. Appears to combine elements of the boba carrier and wrap. I don't have an Ergo. Was actually wondering about the ol throwback, baby Bjorn. She loves to face out and i seem to recall you can do that with BB.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    Was actually wondering about the ol throwback, baby Bjorn. She loves to face out and i seem to recall you can do that with BB.
    I actually had a Bjorn that we used with our son. The reason I switched to the Ergo is because I've done a lot of reading about how traditional carriers (like the Bjorn) are bad for baby's physical development. What I read made so much sense to me that I for rid of the Bjorn and bought the Ergo instead. Yes, it was nice to have DS facing out in the Bjorn but if what I read is accurate then it's just not worth it to me.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz