Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How did YOU do cow's milk transition and pump-weaning?

Default How did YOU do cow's milk transition and pump-weaning?

DD turns one in three weeks (I can hardly believe it), so I would like to put away the pump (I pump because I work full-time), but to continue nursing.

I guess I have to try and see if she'd take cow's milk. Do I need to wait till she is one or can I give her a bit in a sippy to so to see how she likes it?

What do I do if she doesn't like cow's milk? Keep offering? Keep pumping (please dear god don't let it come to that!)

Her solid foods intake is OK, but she still drinks 8 oz of expressed milk while I'm gone (despite cosleeping and eating at night. But that's a separate painful subject). Is that how much cow's milk we should offer once she is one?

I also have a sizable freezer stash, when and how do I use it? As soon as I'm done pumping or should I try and intersperse it with cow's milk?

Any advice is welcome!

Default Re: How did YOU do cow's milk transition and pump-weaning?

You will want to wean from the pump slowly. I dropped a session per week. With Lilah, we just switched straight from frozen milk to cow's milk. With Trixie, we phased out the frozen milk and phased in the cow's milk. We got rid of bottles at the same time, so at first she got three bottles a day, then two bottles a day, then one and then none. I have never put anything by my own milk in a bottle. With Lilah, we let the babysitter just give her however much cow's milk to drink that she wanted, but limited her to 16 ounces per day. With Trixie, she was drinking about 8 to 12 ounces of my milk at that age and I told the babysitter to limit her to 12 ounces. Looking back on it, I think that Lilah drank too much cow's milk. Another thing I did/do differently with Trixie is that she only gets cow's milk in a regular open top cup. We used to give Lilah milk in straw cups and I think that contributed to her drinking too much cow's milk and not eating enough solids.

But I'm rambling! Anyway, wean from the pump slowly so that you don't get mastitis, and what you do with cow's milk is up to you. If she doesn't like it, you can mix it in with breastmilk until you get to a full cow's milk serving. Or you can just give her more yogurt and water. If you are nursing 5 times in a day then you don't need a milk substitute, so it won't really matter if she doesn't like it.

And on the sleep... it's normal. Normal, normal, normal! My 20 month old cosleeps and nurses at night. In our house, we do whatever it takes to get EVERYONE the most amount of sleep. Sometimes my husband sleeps with my almost 4 year old. I cosleep with Trixie after her first waking of the night and until I have to get up in the morning.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

As long as you are still nursing 3-5 times in a 24hour period you don't need to replace your breast milk with cow's milk. The urgency around cows milk is only if someone was actually going to completely wean at a year because of how much fat a baby brain still needs. But if you plan on still nursing while together, I wouldn't even worry about it. Semd the milk until you don't have it to send anymore and then just don't. My child went from nursing full time on demand while I was him with him to being away from me 8-10 hours a day five days a week at 14months. And He drank water out of a sippy and ate solids while away from me and nursed on demand while together. He rejected cow's milk completely until hw was a little over 2. Don't worry and dont think you need to keep pumping. Congratulations on making it this far and for you year of pumping dedication. The 2nd year will be so much more fun with so much less pressure!

Way too lazy for formula

around 14 months my dd stopped drinking the bottle of expressed milk. I pump weaned over a period of like 2 weeks I think. I never gave her cows milk instead. Just water andfood and nursed when we were together.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I pump-weaned around 14 months, and it took me about a month to get rid of both sessions without feeling uncomfortable. I ended up dropping 1 session about every two weeks. I tried to drop 1 per week, but I felt uncomfortably full in the early afternoon when I cut out that second session the second week. We didn't switch to cow's milk. Like you, I have a sizable freezer stash, so we just send that to daycare. DS slowed down his consumption of milk dramatically at daycare when he was 14 months, and he only takes 3-4 oz. there per day now. He also gets water during the day, but I don't know how much he drinks. DS is almost 19 months old, and he still nurses a lot at night--as in, every 2 hours (sometimes every 1.5). Like pps have said, if your LO is still nursing 4-6 times when she's with you, don't worry about cow's milk, unless you really want her to have some. I'd just use your freezer stash until it's gone, then think about switching to cow's milk You worked so hard for your stash, why not use it up?
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Thank you for the advice.

I've seen the 3-5 recommendation before, but I really cannot reconcile it with the reality I'm seeing: my DD consistently drinks about 8 oz of expressed breast-milk while I'm at work. She actually asks for it (we taught her the baby sign language sign for "milk"). Usually she wants milk before a nap and right after.

So what do I do? Tell the sitter to give her water instead? Yogurt? That might make for one very unhappy baby. Or should I continue pumping at work ? (ugh! ugh! ugh!)

I tried to give her a bit of cow's milk today at breakfast (half on ounce), and not only she didn't like it, she proceeded to throw up her breakfast right after. So I guess cow's milk is out?

Weird. Does she like water? Have you ever tried those yogurt smoothies with her? Does she like yogurt?

The 3 - 5 recommendation is just to say that she doesn't need additional milks for nutritional needs. It doesn't mean that she won't WANT to drink milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months