Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do you have to start giving water?

Default When do you have to start giving water?

I logged on the site because I got worried after reading an article about how much liquid your baby should have. My baby just turned one and breastfeeds any time she wants, which is often, but we haven't given her any additional liquid. The article I read said that she should be getting 5 1/2 cups per day. It wasn't a breastfeeding article, just talking about cow's milk, water, foods, etc. My baby nurses a lot and still doesn't eat a lot of solid food but she does have pureed foods like carrots, squash, applesauce, etc. which would be adding some liquid, but it wouldn't add up to much. She still just loves to breastfeed. She has 3 or 4 "meals" in the high chair every day but doesn't eat much. I breastfeed her before every meal and also right after. Plus many times of breastfeeding each day, I would say about 6 times at least during our waking hours and we co-sleep and she loves to nurse about half the night. So....is she getting her 5 1/2 cups of liquid per day if she nurses all she wants or should I be having her drink water too? And if I start giving her water, wouldn't that just reduce the amount she breastfeeds? Which I don't want to do, I don't want her breastfeeding to slow down. Is it ok to just breastfeed for liquid at 12 months? And how would I know if she is not getting the amount of bm she needs? And therefore the liquid she needs since I'm not giving her anything else. I rarely feel letdowns anymore and when I try to pump I get just drops but I've read not to go by those things as indicators of supply. I don't want to wean my baby and I guess I thought adding liquid in a sippy cup would mean slacking off on the nursing. But now I'm worried about her having enough liquid.

Default Re: When do you have to start giving water?

I've never come across anything saying babies or toddlers NEED water at a certain age if still nursing as much as you are. Bm is 88% water. But I wanted my son to experience water and get used to drinking it, just like with solids. Sippy cups are also a nice distraction item and seem to give my son a big boy feeling bc he can do it himself. He rarely drinks more than .5-1 oz at a time though, I'm still his preferred liquids source. Go ahead and let your lo try a few sips of water from your glass. I doubt she'll chug a whole glass and snub the comfort of mama

i also started water when lo was really into eating solids and also after playing outside on hot days (in addition to nursing). water helped with her digestion too and she really liked it with meals. you can try small amounts at first till she gets used to it. she will probably view it as just another type of food right? i dont think it would lead to weaning.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

with the PP. At this point I think you should offer water in a cup with meals, and not stress about whether or not your LO actually drinks it. If he does, don't worry about him suddenly weaning just because he ctap drink tap water. It's just not that yummy and provides none of the comfort that nursing can offer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I started my son on water around 6-7 months when he was eating solids. But since he still BF I usually only gave it at meal time. But I agree that its not a certain number of times its what you think is right for your baby. Does she have a good amount of wet diapers ect does she seem thirsty with meals. Good luck